1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

why? do birds do this

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kathy5, Jan 17, 2005.

1. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

o.k. I have 5 birds as you all know 3 males & 2 females i think that birds are weird when it comes to bonding when I had kiwi & sky they bonded just fine when I got sunshine & added him into the mix the girls fought over him so I had to remove sky than kiwi & sunshine bonded than I got willow for sky thinking she needed a friend they never bonded at all they did not fight but they wern't lovie dovie to each other either.
    when I put the 4 in one cage the girls bonded to one another again & willow & sunshine bonded to each other & this is how it is to this day
    rainbow has the hots for kiwi & she will accecpt his jesters but nothing ever happens as for mating
    why is this I thought if you had boys & girls they would bond to the other ont the same I need another young girl

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

When planning on breeding its always best to try and pair them up in seperated cages they usually go quiet for a few days bu these seems to help when trying to get them to breed.

The other thing is there should always be more females than there is males when all are kep in the same cage or aviary and there also needs to be atleast 1 nest for each of the birds all placed at the same height this is to stop any fighting over a nesting sight.

If you have a female that is in breeding mode placing a nest box in the cage or aviary usually brings all the females into breeding mode literally within days of each other.

I would try placing Rainbow and kiwi in a cage of there own with a nest box and see what happens.

I found mine would not breed when kept together but once they were put in pairs in different cages all the females started laying eggs within 4 weeks.

Seperating them into pairs is upto the individual owner/breeder the upside of this is that you know who the father of the chicks is and roughtly the colour mutations you will get.
    The downside is that they may not bond with each other and the female will want to stay away from the chosen male so its best to try different things to see what happens.

If you get another female there is a chance that all the males start having a crush on her and start flirting and may cause arguments within the group again this is upto you.
    Getting another female may actually help the others decide to bond and breed.

I also find if you introduce soft foods such as boiled egg crushed up with the shell, Boiled brown rice, Boiled pasta helps them want to start laying eggs.

14hours of light and the temprature of the room kept the same all help in the factor also some birds like to be in a quiet room when they are ready to breed so this maybe a factor.

Hope this was helpful.

Mike

3. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

wow that was a lot thanks