1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Why Should I Wait to Breed My Male Zebra Finch that is 3 mth

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by petpeople, Aug 29, 2008.

1. petpeople

petpeople New Member

Hello Everyone

Can anyone tell me why do I have to wait to breed my 3 month old cock zebra finch, as the hen is the one that produces the eggs and the cock doesn't use any vitamin etc, except the obvious

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

If you do not know this answer you should not be breeding them.
    The female must be atleast 18months old and the male atleast 12months.
    The reason being is that at a young age there is risk of both being hurt or they will kill there chicks.

Its classed as cruelty to breed them younger than the above age.

Mike

3. petpeople

petpeople New Member

Hello Mike, Really you think they can hurt themselves, How? I detect some hostility in you answer, I have bred zebra finches years ago put they all were adults, I have researched a few sites on internet and they say they have to be 8 mths old b4 They breed so they build up there energy etc, but not 18 mths, how do you tell if your bird is 18mths if you buy from auctions?. And I have never heard of zebra finch killing there chicks, if they did do this, there would probably be something wrong with the bird, as all have the knowledge passed down through generations, and in the wild they would breed when they wanted, and numbers wouldn't grow if they killed there chicks, Would They? It seems to me you dont know what your talking about, do you breed them youself?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Let me see I used to breed finches, budgies, lorrikeets now i breed cockatiels. I know exactly what i am talking about.
    Before i started breeding i researched every possible problem, how to select the best stock, how to make sure they are in perfect health, making sure that there diet is perfect...

Young birds of any species will kill there babies if they are too young I have had this happen.

8 months is too young to be breeding any animal.
    Bird auctions are not the best place to get a bird its always best to buy direct from a reputable breeder.

The only really good parents in the finch world are the society finch, They will even take on chicks from other species of finch.
    If you bought birds from a reputable breeder you would know how old they were...

Sorry if i came across as hostile it was not my intention..

Mike