1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Wilson Goldfish Missing Scales

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Pleblet, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Pleblet

Pleblet New Member

:cry:
    Hello, Please can i have some advice? I have noticed that my Goldfish Wilson is suddenly missing two scales.. I am gentle with him when i take him from his bowl to clean him, and he is eating and swimming like a healthy little fish but im worried about the missing scales.. appreciate some advice.
    Many Thanks
    M.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You keep him in a bowl?

If so, that's probably a big part of the problem. Bowls are absolutely the worst thing to keep a goldfish in. They need a tank that's at least 15 - 20 gallons with a filtration system. How long have you had him? How often are you cleaning the bowl? How big is the bowl? How big is Wilson?

-Chelle

3. Pleblet

Pleblet New Member

Hi,
    Ive had him for about a year, i clean his bowl out regularly and its approx 13in x 8in - Wilson is about 3inches in length. The scales only seemd to be missing from yesterday.

Also, I just saw him spit out all of his food that he ate - why do they do that?
    Thanks
    M

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You really need to look into getting at least a 15 - 20 gallon tank for him ASAP (that's assuming he's a fancy goldfish. If he's a comet or common, you're looking at closer to 40 - 50 gallons). Goldfish should live for around 15 - 20 years, but honestly, I'll be really suprised if Wilson makes it another year or two in that bowl. Most likely, the problems you are having are due to the fact that the bowl is entirely unsuitable for goldfish. After a year he should be a heck of a lot larger than 3" (when fish "grow to the size of their tank" it's called stunting and it is very unhealthy).

How often are you cleaning the bowl (as in you clean it every x number of days)?

What is the reading for ammonia before you clean the bowl?

-Chelle