1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Worried about my puppy...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by TeddysMom, Jan 28, 2005.

1. TeddysMom

TeddysMom New Member

I did something stupid yesterday. Teddy won't eat his food, he didn't eat all day. So I panicked and gave him some steak cut up small and a piece of cheese. He ate it up like a champ. I know I shouldn't have fed him steak but I felt bad.

When he poo'd, it was soft and there was this gross mucus in it (sorry TMI). Other then a bit of the runs and this mucus thing, he was his playful self.

He didn't poop all night and seems okay this morning. When I fed him this morning, he won't eat. He kept turning his nose away so I hand fed him some dry dog food which I wet down and he ate about a 1/4 cup.

Some days he eats his dog food like a champ but for the last 2 days he doesn't seem to like it.

I give him his daily vitamins. Maybe I should try a different dog food.

Help!

2. MANDY'S MOM

MANDY'S MOM New Member

You may want to take a stool sample to the vet. My 8 month old yorkie had similar symptoms of not eating and loose stool and she had worms. From what i understand this is common in puppies. Let us know how you make out
    ps. good moms always worry

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

How old is he again? I think to much fat in a diet can cause the mucousy stuff in stool. I'd stay away from fatty foods. They also say dairy can cause stomach upsets in dogs. You have found out what happens when you feed table food. They start to ignore their kibble. Keep feeding him his kibble, even if you have to hand feed him for a while. If it really seems then that he does not like it, change it over slowly to another brand. What are you feeding teddy? If the bowels don't firm up in the next couple days take that sample to the vet.

4. TeddysMom

TeddysMom New Member

Thank you for your replies! :y_the_best:

He was dewormed several times by the breeder. When I got him I brought him to the vet 2 days later and had his stool sampled 2 weeks ago. The vet said he was fine.

Teddy is only 2 months old. I think the food was a bit too much for his sensitive little tummy. I'm mad at myself for giving him steak and cheese. We are feeding him Eukanuba Puppy formula dry food.

He has a vet appointment next week but if his stool doesn't harden then I'll take him tomorrow to see the vet.

5. ShowandAgilityPaps

ShowandAgilityPaps New Member

I'm mad at myself for giving him steak and cheese.

Why would be mad at yourself for feeding your dog what nature intended for him to eat? Kibble is convenient . . . and that is about where the pros to kibble stop. Real food is healthier for dogs. High fat foods aren't, but lean meats and veggies are. Dogs were meant to eat real food just like every animal. If you want to feed kibble, that is fine, but don't feel bad for feeding your dog something healthy.

The diarrhea was most likely caused because the meal didn't have enough fiber. Read the kibble ingredients. Most of what kibble contains is fiber. Unfortunately for dogs, it is way, way too much fiber so that they are getting calories without nutrition (fiber can't be digested; it only serves to help the stool move down the intestines).

My dogs get real meat and veggies every day along with a little rice. They used to eat a very high brand kibble until they were 3. After switching them to a real food diet just to test it out, my dogs started growing so much coat that everyone noticed.

It's not bad to feed kibble, but it certainly isn't bad to feed a real diet of fresh meats and veggies.

Take Care,

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Several things can put puppies off their food. If he's been vaccinated recently, that can be the problem. They eat more when they're going through a growing phase, and eat less when growth slows for a few days. Erupting teeth can make their mouths sore. And even though he's been wormed, they can pick them up again at any time.

One thing you might concider; if he doesn't finish a meal in 10 minutes, pick his bowl up and put it away until next meal time. I've managed to cure many fussy eaters by adopting a 'You snooze, you lose' attitude. But because of his age and size, do offer meals often if you do this. He won't starve if he misses a meal, but hypoglycemia is a real possibility.

7. TeddysMom

TeddysMom New Member

Thank you for your replies.

I have switched foods and he is eating fine now. His poo is also harder, no diarrhea. I'm now giving him Royal Canin for puppies and he loves it.

He is not good with our food right now. Yesterday we were at my Mom's for dinner and he ate a piece of food that fell on the floor (didn't catch it in time, he's too fast for me). He threw up about 1/2 hour later.

He is doing well on his new dry food and natural biscuits I give him as treats. Perhaps when he is older I'll introduce our food.

He has an appt with the vet next week for his 2nd vaccinations. I just had his checked again for worms and he was okay. I'm going to ask to have him checked again.

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

What was it that he ate when he nabbed the dropped table food? One of my dogs will throw up veggies. Always, so I don't give them. Later as he gets bigger, some things he can have as long as they are not seasoned. Plain chicken so's not to upset the tummy. That sort of thing. Sounds like he's coming along fine.

9. TeddysMom

TeddysMom New Member

It was a piece of lasagna, plus he was licking the sauce off the floor. He is a smart puppy, he was sitting underneath the area where my young nephews were seated. He realized that they were young and messy eaters so he was sure they would be dropping food on he floor. :roll:

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Just remember certain spices can upset their tummys. Onions are a no no for dogs. They are toxic to them. I know some people give their dogs these things and they are fine. I think with small dogs we need to be extra careful. And yes she is a little smarty for knowing who will drop the goods huh. LOL