1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

wot does it mean wen.........???

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by dougie_090, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dougie_090

dougie_090 New Member

wot does it mean wen my female guppy just lies on a rock at the bottom of the tank??
    Is this a sign to let me know that she is about to give fry??? and also does any1 know if i can help her give birth to fry whilst still in the shared tank, it has a fair bit of cover including a couple of artificial plants an a big archway rock.??
    any ideas i would be extremely grateful for as i am hoping for my first batch of fry (and as some of u more experienced enthusiasts know what it feels like wen u have a pregnant livebearer its quite stressful to get ur first batch!!)

thanx alot for ur time and effort

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Laying on a rock isn't a good sign. How big is the tank? What other fish are in it? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? How does she look physically (pale? red spots? white spots? torn fins?)?

-Chelle

3. dougie_090

dougie_090 New Member

i have been looking at her for today aswell and i have now noticed that she is being stationary at the top of the tank just just moving her fins t keep her balanced until another fish comes toward her when she moves!! and opnly then will she dive down to the bottom and swim around ther for a few mins. I found this wierd as none of the other fish are acting like this all are being extremely normal!! i have 3 fantail goldfish and a male guppy as well as a fmale molly any more info??? plzzz thanx a mil

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

mym umummy guppy spent a fair bit of time floating and sinking and she gave birth fine, but she later died, cant say it was anything related to the fry or the way she was tho.

there is one way to assist birth but it will kill your mum guppy.

i had a very ill mum, she couldnt quite drop and she was stressed and ill. I picked her out the tank and rubbed her belly toward her tail andshe gave birth, but she later died due to the internal damage from the sqweezing. its highly UNrecomended, but shed either die with the fry or without them and i wanted to give them a chance.
    i sqwidged a dead mum who was about to drop, but the fry all came out as still births.

it was really upsetting, and again, i feel i should leave them to die in piece.

take care.
    x

5. dougie_090

dougie_090 New Member

Firstly..... thankyou with your helping me 3_second_memory!!! it is highly praised n i am grateful

these r my first gupy and i am 99% sure that my female is pregnant:

1: she has a very dark gravid spot (that is what they are called isnt it!!) and it has gotten bigger over the last few days!? does this mean she is nearing her drop??

2: does being able to see through her (into her stomach "bubbl") not litteraly rite through her but into her stomach mean.....???

some help would be great!
    thanks x

6. 3_second_memory

your welcome to the support feel free to continue to PM,

when she is near to dropping the gravis spot will be very big, and if she is a pale colour, you may be able to see the frys eyes.
    all my mummy guppies suddenly loose the will to swim as they are so pregnant they float on the top just using their fins to balence.

id suggest watch her very closely and if she looks like she isnt moving atal, move her to a quiet area like in a drapped net and allow her to give in piece. never leave them in the breeder for more than an hour at a go, that is a rule, but i bend it and the guppy mum is fine in their as she wants time to herself.

you can actually watch her give birth if your their at the right time..

about her being so pale, it couldbe severe stress as fish loose their colour when stressed, for her the stress is due to the pregnancy, or she maybe ill, is their any signs of spots her or lumps that shouldnt be their? are her eyes cloudy? her tail erodded?

these are classic symtoms to common illnesses such as white spot, internal disease, fin rot etc, its paracites in the water that casue the deseases.

have a look on her and see what you notice.

7. dougie_090

dougie_090 New Member

thanks so much u have been so much help to me... i have onli been on here a few days but u have answered evry 1 of my questions i needed answerin!!

thanks an take care xxx

8. 3_second_memory

your welcome. i goessed you hadnt been here long, well, if you have any quiries PM as usualand ill get back to you asap.

take care.
    x