1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

WOW~~ strange new fish half black and half green

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

After school today I came downstairs to feed my fish. As I was looking at the Red Devil tank something caught my attention in the native tank... I looked and saw a fish that was half black and half green... Hmmm. I turned the light on and you would never guess what I saw. My foot long Northern Pike had the 6 inch Largemouth Bass in his jaws!! The Bass's head was obviously too large to fit down the Pike's skinny throat... I ran to get my camera for some pictures and video! I came back down and the Pike had half the Bass down his throat!! After pictures and videos the Pike had downed the whole fish! Out of all the fish in the tank he chose the Bass I couldn't beleive it! There is a 3 inch Bluegill in there and he chose the Bass over the Bluegill! Well anyways... I just thought that was amazing.

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Wheres the pictures

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I don't have the pics sized up or posted yet

4. tski22

tski22 New Member

how big is the tank with the northern in it? thats an interesting combination of fish i would have never thoguht of someone actually keeping a fish like that at their house, i would like to see the pictures to believe it. -tl

5. venom

venom New Member

northern pikes arent that rare in tanks.....

6. tski22

tski22 New Member

Hmm... i would think that not only would it need a very large tank but also it wouldnt like a perfectly clear one. In the wild nprtherns like muddy murky water so they can surprise there prey..Id like to see the pics.

7. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

I hope you have the proper collection permits for these native fish, you most likely have "under the size limit" fish in your tank... hate to have the DNR get wind of that... in most states what you have is illegal with out the proper permits. If you have them... thats awesome... Northern Pike tend to be very aggressive and your bass was probably lookin tastey... the bluegill probably survived because they tend to be a little more spinier and a little easier for it to hide.

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Permits?

9. gravity

gravity New Member

Some states require permits or simply ban someone from removing a fish (or animal) from its natural habitat. This is generally only in place for endangered species or species that are considered vital to an area's ecosystem, such as species at the top of the food chain or that limit an introduced animal from over-running the other indigenous species.

As far as I know, the Northern Pike is not on any of those lists, which I think is the fish in question.

10. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

I'm talking about size requirements... there are size limits from which you can or can't keep a fish... if you don't have the collection permits... you can't keep the fish. I'm not talking about endagered species... I had to do this with my backyard pond because of size limits on the native fish... In order to have a bass in my pond I would need at least a 14" bass according to the regulations. If you remove a fish from a pond river or lake it must exceed your states (or areas) size limit. Soooooo unless you got it from a pet store (which could be the case), I would get the collection permit

11. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Im pretty sure they arnt going to find his native tank in his basement and come and confiscate his fish

12. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

its happened before... just to forewarn... and the collection permits usually aren't very much... or just get bigger fish...