1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

You Have to See Our Local Shelter Page!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sarge'smom, May 28, 2004.

1. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh now thats neat!!! I love the personals add effect!!!

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I do too! I thought it was a really cute way of "selling" the aniaml. Their adoptions have gone up quite a bit since they started doing it that way.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I absolutely LOVE Mony. And Spot.......he is ADORABLE!!

Jamiya

5. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

That was really cute alot better than usually. Someone really takes alot of time with that.

6. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I know. I am so tempted about Spot or one of his brothers, but, they made a reference to school age children being better. :cry:

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I just looked at Spot again. I could just eat him up! I love dogs with markings on one eye or half the face. I'm such a sucker...

How old are your kids? Are they gentle with animals?

But you already have a puppy.....more than one at a time is a HANDFUL and sometimes they bond more with each other than with their humans.

Jamiya

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I like it, I wish ours had pictures.

honeybear

9. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Oh I love Patches and Spot what little sweeties!

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Sarge is 13 weeks (puppy) my Son Alexander is 17 months and my son Nicholaus will be 4 on the 4th of July. "Gentle" is not a term I, nor anyone who knows my children, would use! They are not destructive (not on purpose anyway!) and they are both good hearted little boys, but, all boy they both are! Sarge loves it! I just keep a constent eye on them when they play and make sure that neither animal nor human child gets out of hand. I put both groups into a "time out" period if they can't play nice. Usually, Sarge gets mad if I make Nicholaus calm down! I want another puppy too, I just want to make sure that Srage is at the right age for it, that he would still be open to another animal but has gotten some "alone" time with us too.

11. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

That was really cute!

12. nern

nern New Member

What a great idea...that is really cute.

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

are dexter spot and patches relatd? and pascha I would have thought she was some sort of german shephard but what is a belgian tervuren? bugsy so adorable with thos eyes looking up! Oh I can't look at the page any longer bc I am starting to think well my bf said no more cats or dogs, but hmm a rabbit or a ferret he hasn't said no too!
    but also love what each animal had to say that took time and effort as opposed this dog is male approx. 2 neutered or whatever!

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A lot of people recommend waiting until your pup is at least a year old, if not two years, before you get another dog. It helps a LOT if the pup is trained relatively reliably before you introduce a new puppy. :)

Jamiya

15. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Jamiya- Thanks, that helps to know. Now, if I can control myself from getting another one, we'll be fine!

16. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

lil96- here ya' go! Belgian Tervurens
    One of the four breeds of the Belgian Shepherds. The Belgian Tervuren is a well balanced medium size dog, elegant in appearance, standing squarely on all fours. A picture of power and grace. Belgian Tervurens are intelligent, courageous, alert and devoted to their master. They excel in an active family environment, but also is a wonderful working dog whether in obedience, herding, agility or tracking. Belgians will adapt to both urban or a country environment as long as they have space to exercise.

Height: 22 - 26 inches
    Weight: 62 lbs.

Colors: All shades of red, fawn, gray , with black overlap.
    Coat: Long, straight and abundant.

Temperament: Obedient, loyal, intelligent, lively.
    With Children: Yes, good with their family, should not be rough housing or played chase games with. May not tolerate other children.
    With Pets: Needs to be socialized to other pets. Take extra care when introducing a new pet.

Watch-dog: Very High, suspicious of strangers.
    Guard-dog: Very High, will protect family and property but will not attack unwarranted.

Care and Training: Weekly brushing, more during heavy shedding in the spring and autumn. Vigorous daily exercise is required plus time in a wide-opened fence run. Puppies need easily socialization. He does well in obedience or herding. Should not be allowed to chase cars, bikes, joggers, or children.
    Learning Rate: Very High, Obedience - Very High, Problem Solving - High. Overbearing training techniques may encourage fear-biting.

Activity: High
    Living Environment: Best suited for country living, but if not a home with a fenced yard is essential. An owner of a Belgian Tervueren should desire an active dog who is intelligent and protective.

Health Issues: Healthily dogs, majority are free from heritable disease. Sometimes you may find epilepsy, excessive shyness, eye problems and hip dysplasia.

Life Span: 12 - 14 Years
    Litter Size: 6 - 10

Country of Origin: Belgium
    History: Developed in Belgium for guarding and herding of sheep. He was formally recognized as the Belgian Shepherd Dog in 1891. Present in the gene pool of these dogs there were dogs with long coats, short coats, rough or wired coats and a variance of colors. Making the Belgian Shepherd Dog with four varieties. The Groenendalel (known simple as the Belgium Sheepdog), with a solid long black coat, the Laekenois, a rough or wire-coat in fawn, red or brown, the Malinois, a short coated in fawn, red or brown and the Tervueren, a long coated fawn or dark red dog. The American Kennel Club has recognized three of these four varieties. The British Kennel Club regards him as a single breed and the Federation Cynologique states one breed with four varieties. Because of this, the dogs are always registered on their coat type and color, not of their parents.

First Registered by the AKC: 1912 (registered as the Belgian Sheepdog until 1959)
    AKC Group: Herding
    Class: Herding
    Registries: AKC, ANKC, CKC, FCI (Group 1), KC(GB), UKC

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It is hard to wait, Sarge's Mom. I only made it to 10 months, myself. :)

Jamiya

18. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Lil96- I forgot- Yes, Dexter, Spot and Patches are from the same litter. Interesting mix huh? Not sure how that one worked! :lol:

19. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Our local shelter, AZ Humane Society, is kicking off a new program called, P.A.W.S. (Partnering Animals With Seniors.)

Seniors 60 and older will be paired with older pets in the shelter. I think this is really neat because older pets are usually overlooked in the shelters and so many Seniors are lonesome especially after a spouse dies.

I know after my Dad died my Mom had a cocker spaniel mix that was a real comfort and good companion.

I also think Seniorswith pets stay happier which makes them healthier and some deserving older pets get a chance at really being pampered.

20. lil96

lil96 New Member

tomorrow's dog of the day??? haha so are they closely related to german shepherds or not close becuase I see they are both shpehards. but what does this mean : played chase games with? is that like chasing the dog and the dog chases you or the dog chases the cat? I haven'T heard that before? sorry for my dumbness!!