1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Young Pit Bull for Adoption in Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by AnnieLouWho, Jul 29, 2004.

1. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

Hello,
    I hope someone on this board can help me. I recently rescued an adorable 6 month old girl from a shelter in Atlanta. They told me she was a hound/terrier mix and I know very little about specific breeds of dogs. I took her to the vet and guess what? She's an American Pitbull Terrier. She is very thin, I estimate around 15 lbs. She is dark brown with caramel brindle and a dark brown / black nose. She has her rabies shot and I will pay to have her spayed. Problem is- I cannot keep her at my apartment. They have a "no Pitbulls" among other breeds policy. So... I haven't told the management she's here. She does not make ANY noise. She doesn't growl, bark, cry, whimper, nothing. She is crate trained, we are working on housebreaking by going out as often as possible. She has only had one accident inside (my fault). She does not jump on furniture, actually, she prefers to be in her crate a lot. She is 100% submissive. I fear she was abused. She shows no agression towards man nor beast. Her name is Maddie and I wish I had a picture. I am sorry if I am rambling, but I've gotten attached to her and I cannot bear to take her back to the shelter. If you know of anyone who would like to give Maddie a good home, please email me. I am in Atlanta, GA and willing to travel. Thank you so very much and God Bless!

Annie

anniewalker@yahoo.com

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Annie: You seemed to really hurt at the thought of taking the dog back to the shelter.

There's a rescue, Pit Prints Rescue in Canton, GA. You might give them a call and tell them the situation. A lot of rescues are full, but the lady who runs this rescue is an absolute SAINT. Her name is Amanda Conrad

Her Phone # 770-345-9195.

Her email address is: pitprints@earthlink.net

Just tell her your story how you rescued and found out later you couldn't keep the dog because of restrictions. She's been known to take them in when there's been "No More Room Left At The Inn."

Let me know what you find out.

Good luck to you and your adoptee!!

3. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

thanks for the Rescue info

Thank you so much. I have emailed her and I will call her this evening if I don't get an email response. Maddie is so sweet, I wish I could find a vet who would say she is a mutt or anything but a pit. I found out that "Petey" the dog on the Little Rascals was a APBT. Have you seen a sweeter dog than that? Then I have found lots of instances where any boxy viscous dog is said to be a pit by the media. Boxers, French Bulldogs, anything that bites must be a pit. This dog is sweeter than any poodle or cocker spaniel or dalmation. Yet, because of breed discrimination, I am in this pickle with her. Thank you again for your help, I didn't mean to vent!! :(

Have a great day.
    Annie

4. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

no luck with the rescue

Amanda is unable to help... so if anyone out there can, please let me know.

aw

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

So sorry to hear about your situation. I sure wish I could help but am no where near you and dont know anyone currently looking for a dog. It is a shame though that you are unable to keep her. Unfortunatly these poor dogs have been slaughtered in the media. Is there anyway in talking with your manager if he sees how nice she is they could bend the rules? Maybe put you on a probation of some sorts and when she proves her self they can let you keep her? Good luck to you both!

7. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

I am afraid to even speak to them about it. The lease lists a slew of breeds (and mixes thereof) that are not allowed. Pit Bulls (of course) are first on the list. Standard Poodles, Rotties, and Akitas are on there, too... along with wolves! But, no Dobermans, Canary Dogs, Saint Bernards, or other bigger dogs with just as scary of a reputation. So, right now, I am 'hiding' her and trying to work with Amanda at Pit Prints to try to either find a way to keep her or find her a good home. If I ask and they say no, and I am put in a "find her a home in a day" situation, it won't be good for her. What choice will I have other than the pound? :m13: So, I am biding my time with her as best I can. I am working on socialization, house breaking, she has all of her shots now, and in 3 weeks she'll be spayed. While she is with me, I am working towards making her a very good dog that someone will want in their home to love forever. :love_y_t_much:

8. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Annie: Keep contacting Amanda and tell her about how you are spaying and tending to her medical. That you really need to find this a Pit a home.

A lot of shelters are overwhelmed with people looking for a place to dump unwanted Pits. Stress to her how much you really care and that you saved her from certain death.

Persistance sometimes is the only way. Amanda and her Husband have huge hearts when it comes to Pits.

If you have a digital camera, take some pictures and email them.

I'll say a prayer for you and your little girl. GOOD LUCK!!!

9. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

Hi All,
    I am going to take pictures of Miss Maddie today. My vet says she is not a pure APBT, but a mix. Of course, the papers say Pit Bull Mix and not just "mix".... ugh.
    Amanda is being very helpful. I am going to send her pics of Maddie and maybe we can either re-home her of figure out a way to get papers (my apt requires a statement from a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine regarding shots, breed, max weight) that just say MIX on them.
    Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Keep your paws crossed.

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I dont know if this will help, but whne I got my rabies certificate for Wylies who is aheller mix, the vet had her down on the certificate a shephard mix, I needed to get her license and Ihad to send the certificate along that said sherphard mix, but eh license form I out heeler mix and her license came back that way. So maybe you could keep her and put what mix you think hse is, get her registered and if you landlord ask you show them the saying she is this.

just a thought

honeybear

11. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

Here is a picture of Maddie!!!
    I will do that, put her breed down as "mix" and see what happens. Thanks.

Annie

12. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

13. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Annie: Maddie looks like such a sweetheart!! You really seem like you would like to try to keep her. If you can have her re-classified as another mix type, your management company shouldn't have a problem. Right now, they don't even know she's there, so you have time to work. Depending on the size of your complex, they may never know. It seems like the bigger the complex, if you're good paying your rent, and don't cause any trouble, they pretty much don't pay any attention to you.

I rented an apartment for two years and didn't even live in it, my daughter did. This complex had over 400 units. The managers didn't even have a clue. All they knew was they got their rent on time at the first of the month.

14. AnnieLouWho

AnnieLouWho New Member

I would like to keep her, and in light of the breed restrictions at my apartment- that aside, she is a sweet baby but I have a sort of inferiority complex about keeping her. First, I know nothing about training, handling, owning a dog such as a pittie. I know that to be responsible, I must establish dominance and be sure she is well trained. To be quite honest, I am a little bit afraid of some dogs. I am a victim of the media!!! To make it worse, Rotties and pitties and bullies, and other dogs that give me the heebie jeebies seem to sense it. So, I am afraid that the Alpha may get switched in our case. So, that brings us to #2. Can I, in good faith, keep a dog and raise her when I am not sure if one day, I may not be able to control her? Would it be better for her to go to another family now, while she is young? I know that one day she may attack another dog. Am I going to be brave enough to intervene? I am so torn! I want to do everythling I can to keep her, but I am afraid I am being selfish. Pitties aren't for everyone and I am trying to figure out if I am going to be a good Pittie mommy. I don't want to contribute to the already huge number of poorly raised dogs that contribute to the stereotype. So... that is my dilemna. I am trying to find her a home, and at the same time trying to keep her!

15. oso

oso New Member

ANNIE I TOTALLY UNDESTAND AND SYMPATHIZE W/ YOU. MY BOYFRIEND FOR YEARS WANTED A PIT AND I WASN'T COMFORTABLE W/ IT ITHER,ESPECIALLY WITH US HAVING 2 KIDS. I TOO WAS MIXED UP IN THE MEDIA BS. BUT THEN I GOT OSO(AMSTAF) AND THINGS TOTALLY CHANGED. I DID A LOT OF READING UP ON HIM AND I UNDERSTAND A LOT MORE THING NOW. I ADMITT I STILL WONDER SOMETIMES IF IM BEING TOO MUCH OF A SOFTIE W/ HIM. BUT I DO HAVE HIM ENROLLED IN PUPPY CLASSES. I SEE NOW THAT IN TIME YOU LEARN YOUR DOGS MOODS ND TEMPERMENTS, RIGHT NOW I COULD NEVER SEE OSO "TURNING". YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW YOUR DOG, IT FUNNY CAUSE PEOPLE SEE OSO AND WALK THE OTHER WAY, BUT I KNOW ALL HE'S WANTS TO DO IS PLAY WITH AND LICK YOU, BUT IV'E SEEN OTHER PITTS AND KINDA PUT MY GAURD UP TOO. EVEN THOUGH THEIR OWNER IS TELLING MY "OH SHE'S JUST A BIG O'L BABY" PEOPLE REALLY STEROTYPE THEM.I STILL ALWAYS HEAR HOW THEY'RE THE MOST STUPID DOGS AND THE HARDEST TO TRAIN, AND IF YOU CAN TRAIN A PIT THEN YOU CAN TRAIN ANY DOG. MAYBE I JUST LUCKED OUT CAUSE OSO'S NOT AS HARD AS I ANTICIPATED. IT SEEMS BY THE WAY YOUR CONCERNED ABOUT POORLY RAISING HER, THAT YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO RAISE HER GOOD. GOOD LUCK IN WHICH EVER YOU DECIDE.YOU ALWAYS HAVE AUSPET TO HELP ALONG THE WAY. I'VE LEARED ALOT FROM HERE. :D