1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MonsterBailey, Apr 21, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Okay, okay, okay.... I just HAVE to share this little "story" with you guys -- mainly to vent, secondly to get your thoughts!

There is a lady at work (Diane) that has the "puppy bug" bad! Of course, I'm pushing her all the way... hehe... well to start the story another lady brought in her 9 week old shihtzu puppy today (I swear I was going to steal him! he was frrrrrrreakin adorable) and Diane just wimpered cuz she wants a new baby too. WELL..... so we heard about a lady in town that has about TWENTY PUPPIES (various!) in her home! Well the rumor has it that the county has gotten involved and told her that she needs to get rid of all her puppies. (I'm not sure on details, cuz I would have THUNKED they would have taken them)......and the other friend was there over the weekend and she was selling her puppies for $100 (which I can understand to cover vet bills). SOOOOOOO, we went to her house today at lunch. GRANTED it was a very nice home -- the place didn't look over ran, but there were dogs EVERYWHERE. Well, we tell her what we're looking for and she is veryyyyyy cautious about letting us "SEE" the puppies. Now, I actually explain to my friends about how that's a good thing because she doesn't allow people to touch the dogs!! So she brings out two shihtzu maltese puppies --- way way CUUUUUUUUTE!! They are only 6 weeks and she says "I'm willing to sell them to you NOW (HELLO?? 6 weeks??) for $500." (Now, we don't mention anything about how we heard she's being "shut down" but I did say that I heard she was selling them for $100, which she said wasn't true) Well, my friend doesn't want to pay that kind of money and the good news is these puppies don't particularily steal her heart....So, the lady goes back in to get two more - one is a full breed maltese for $600 (WHO I WOULD HAVE SNAGGGGGGGED!!) and the other is what she refers to as "A MISTAKE"... it was a pug/maltese mix. Now, he was a VERYYYYY CUTE PUPPY! But, she proceeds to tell us he was a mistake... unplanned, didn't know the mom was even pregnant, blah blah blah etc. She then says "I'll let you have him for $300"...... Now, at this point, I'm curious what you guys think about that.

My friend did NOT end up getting the puppy at this time because she still wanted to talk to her son..... and, of course, I leave with this incredibly uneasy feeling. She asked me what I thought.... and I pretty much told her that my gut did NOT like this woman, and surely did not agree with her "attempting" to charge that price for what she kept referring to as a mistake. NOWWWW I did tell her if your heart tells you that you have just got to have him, then the price tag shouldn't matter (if you can afford it, obviously), but if your gut tells you no... then it's a NO!

Now we originally went to this ladies house feeling more like this was a "rescue" because she was supposedly told she had to get rid of her dogs. And, I did check with the local shelter and there are no "small" breed puppies.

So tell me... what do you guys think about this???

2. moose

moose New Member

ugh. no no no no no no NO, i do not think your friend should even consider getting a puppy from this lady. of course, i don't know all of the details, but this woman (the breeder, not your friend) sounds like a complete whacko. since when do responsible breeders have "mistake" pug/maltese mixes?? and then turning around and trying to sell those pups for $300??? my feeling is that she's in it for the cash.

and from what you post, it doesn't sound as if she's about to be sanctioned by the county -- but she's obviously done *something* shady enough to merit being told to get rid of her current dogs.

this just horribly reminds me of what's going on down here in TN right now with the maltese breeder -- she had 200 dogs stacked from floor to ceiling, breeding nonstop, and to keep them going she was actually giving her dogs viagara! disgusting situation....but you know what? she had 20 or so dogs at one point too. and people were shelling out hundreds of dollars for them...so 20 turned into 200 real quick, i'm guessing.

i'm not saying all breeders are crooked and are in it for the money, but what you post gives me an extremely uneasy feeling -- i'm guessing you feel the same since you felt the need to post it, right?? like i said, i don't know all the details, but i do think your friend needs to check with the county to get ALL the information she can about this lady and why they're getting involved.

let us know how it turns out.

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

My advice would be to NOT deal with this woman.

The price doesn't bother me.. in all the research I've done I've seen shih-poos going between $400 - $700.... and like you said, if you want the puppy, it is healthy and you can afford it then go for it! Now, as far as the 'mistake' puppy.. that worries me b/c when a *careful* breeder breeds two dogs, it's only after they have done extensive research on the would-be parents to make sure they are going to have the healthiest babies possible. I will say that I think it was good of her to be honest about not meaning these two dogs getting together.. but, still.

BUT, what worries me is that she was/is willing to sell that puppy at 6 weeks!!!! :shock: I am by NO means an expert, I've never even owned a puppy yet... but, I HAVE been doing my research and I do know that they should to be taken from their mother at that age! I know you know that too Monster, which would be my guess why you left their with an uneasy feeling.

She obviously doesn't care about her puppies if she is willing to let one go at such a young age.

I would tell your friend to keep searching.. there are better options out there although it may take time to find them.. they are worth waiting for! I don't think I'd want to do business w/this woman.

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks for your thoughts so far, guys... I'm on my way to work, so don't have much time, but I wanted to at least say that I ASSUME that she's "allowing you to have the dog now" (at 6 weeks) because she was told she had to get rid of the dogs. HOWEVERRRRRR... I would think if she was told by someone (perhaps not the county, then??) then they would have the pups best interest and "allow" them to stay with their mom for two more weeks... I dunno... don't have a clue how that is done. I know I've read on the board that there are people who have gotten their puppies early due to rescue issues.....

anyhow..... yea, I was VERRRRRRRRRRY unhappy with this lady. She obviously is in it for the money. There is also more that I forgot to mention: she claimed she was moving to Oklahoma and then said something about being able to sell the dogs there for LESS than out here in California. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.... wouldn't you think a REASONABLE and RATIONAL person would want to sell them now (REGARDLESS of price) than to cart 20 dogs to Oklahoma!?!? I can onlyyyyy imagine the condition of travel on that!

eeeek....

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

OMG! That doesn't make much sense that she'd want to take 20 dogs w/her to Oklahoma!!! My goodness..

Well, about the 'letting the puppy go at 6 weeks' thing.. yeah, you have a good point there ~ maybe she is allowing that only b/c she has to get rid of them. But, I would have asked her point blank about that (just casually saying "Hmm.. is it normal to take puppies away from their mom/littermates so soon?" Just to see how she responded). I mean, that's an awful lot of dogs to have to get rid of.. It makes me wonder if she was told she HAD to get rid of them ALL immediately or if she was told that she had 1 month to get rid of them (for example..)...

Still sounds like an odd situation! :roll:

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

If she was told she had to get rid of them A.S.A.P. , then it sounds to me that she's just trying to make as much money off of them as she can. Especially the comment

Obviously she only has her best interest inmind, not the puppies.

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

UGH...that story just makes me cringe!!! :x

Alright, I'm gonna' keep this short and sweet:

NOPE, DO NOT buy from this "breeder" (if you could even deem her as a breeder)!

For the money she is asking, your friend could be well on her way, if not already there, to buying a pup from a REPUTABLE breeder!!!

IF your friend wants to get a pup from her, she must look ahead into the future and realize that the pup was probably an ill-bred pup, and therefore has a high likely hood of health problems occurring as a result! (That is surely not to say that a purebred puppy won't develop any health problems, for that would be absurd to think in such a manner, but the risk is far greater in an ill-bred pup!) So, is she willing to fork over the money (usually VERY expensive) for the vet bills beyond the normal vet bills expected in owning a puppy if any health problems arise as a result of poor breeding practices?

There's my opinion for whatever it is worth!

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

***After reading through my above post I felt as though I may mistakenly come across as though I am saying one should never consider adoption, so I must explain the following:

Please do note that I am not against the rescuing of animals, for that is untrue.

I was highly involved in cat rescues and fostering for many years, and I sincerely recommend and support the rescuing of animals. But, oddly enough, often times people are oblivious to that fact that they may have to deal with some hefty vet bills as a result of the dog or cat they are considering adopting, being a poorly bred one - which most rescues are by the way. That was a risk I was willing to take, and luckily I didn't have too many of those. I made sure that every person that came to my home who was considering adopting one my rescues was fully aware of such a risk, and was willing to take responsibility if it occurred. I'll admit, it did turn off a few people, but I would only wanted people who were sincerely dedicated to taking on full responsibility and providing the cat with any medical attention necessary along with the TLC that every animal deserves!

Such a risk is definitely something to consider and fully understand when considering a rescue!

I really don't want to make it sound like I am trying to say that one should not adopt, just trying to make a point!

So, long story short, if you want to adopt, GO FOR IT and I commend you...it is a wonderful deed!!! :D

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I will second what another poster said about her just trying to get as much money out of them as she can before she is shut down. I would not go with this woman for a dog, everyone else has pretty much stated great reasons. Maybe letting your friend read this post will help her understand how serious buying a puppy from her may be. I.E. Vet bills, unhealthy puppy. Anyway good luck to her in whatever she decides!

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

YES, I forgot to mention in my other posts that it is undeniably clear that the woman selling her pups is most definitely in it for the money...truly sad!!!

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Basically all of the above statements is what comes to mind for me too. These puppies are going to be the same pups that are rescued and or put to death at the shelters. It all boils down to knowing what types of breeders are out there and if your willing to take on a possible unhealthy dog. This is such a hard issue when you have these poor babes sitting in the palm of your hand. If you can afford it, then the pup is best in your hands. If you have no money to spare, move along and hope for the best for these little ones. Such a sad situation for an innocent pup to be in.

12. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

UPDATE:

Well, I definitely talked my friend out of that puppy from the "money hungry" woman..... :) hehe.... and I KNEW DARN well you all would say all the things you said. I just knew in my gut it was the wrong move.

and now, I'm proud to report that tonite I'm late for our CHAT because we left work early to go look elsewhere (about an hour away). She is now the verrrrry proud mommy of the most precious baby boy (8 weeks). :bow_now: He is a Papillon/Chihuahua mix... and OH MY GOD! :eek: I'm not usually a 'fan' of chihuahuas but this guy is just to die for. She knew IMMEDIATELY that he was the baby for her!!

I am such a proud auntie!! And am even sad and lonely right now that i don't get him all to myself... hehe..... I just love him to pieces!! :love_y_t_much:

As soon as I get her to get some pics digitally, I will just have to share my new "nephew" with you all! Some things are just meant to be :) :kiss_heart:

13. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

AWWWWWWW...what a happy story!

:eek: Well, congrats to her on her new baby boy!!! :eek:

As always, can't wait to see those pics! :D

14. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Glad it turned out well for you and your friend .
    My thoughts were not to deal with her .
    6 weeks ,way too young ...

15. That woman sounds like she's running a puppy mill! :x I don't care how nice her house was! You didn't get to see the living conditions of those puppies, did you? I hope she get's the AXE BUT GOOD! :x Please keep us updated on what happens with her, I'm very curious as to how this all turns out.

I'm happy to hear that your friend found her forever furbaby :D

Susan

16. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Oh, I agree -- she was DEFINITELY running a puppy mill. I just want those precious babies to go to good homes. If she ends up hauling them all to Oklahoma, I can only imagine what that ride will be like for them.... :( eeeek! :cry: It just breaks my heart! I only thought about it so that they'd go to a good home.... but I think everyone else said it pretty clearly: the HEALTH ISSUES with these babies probably would have been horrible :(

17. Hi! I'm curious, have you called the S.P.C.A. or the Humane society about this woman? I would think that the community would get involved and close her down with bad publicity. A poster on a telephone pole close to her house that states "PUPPY MILL" at such and such address, may deter her a little. Don't want you to get into trouble, it's just a suggestion. Or just tell EVERYONE you know about her. I'ts amazing how fast word gets around.... The reason I believe she's running a Puppy mill is: When you're a breeder, you don't have a dozen different breeds, YOU HAVE ONE BREED... Just sounds very fishy to me :x

Again happy your friend found her little guy somewhere else :D

Susan

18. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

ya know... that's a good idea!! I think I might look into it....!! You're absolutely right about the different breeds..... let's count: she had "purebred" maltese, maltese/shihtzu mix, pug/maltese mix, and bulldogs! argh....

19. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Monster, Congradulations on your new nephew!!! Boy this puppy fever is driving me mad! I want one. Went to the shelter the other day and they had Malmute puppies, they had to spay them and I when I went back someone had snatched them up! They were soooo cute and I know my husky would have just loved a puppy that would grow to be her size to play with! And now my father in law just informed me today that his friend just had a litter of pom puppies! Which I have a weakness for since I already have two. I keep telling myself that I am not going to even look at those pups, buts its gonna happen! Hopefully he will have homes lined up for them all before I get there! My hubby is no help cause he is a dog freak like me. I am gonna have to get a bigger house. Oh and did I mention I have two toddlers who LOVE dogs. I am in so much trouble. I barely made it out of the shelter without loading them all into my truck! Ok sorry for rambling but I am going crazy here!

20. Jas

Jas New Member

House in order, out of order, pig sty or meticulous doesnt matter. 2 words. Puppy Mill (they come in all forms..... SIGH). Please report this "person".

:(