1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Zebra Finch Problem: Irritated Feet

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Bruceski, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Bruceski

Bruceski New Member

We proudly own many Zebra Finches. We are confounded by a problem with their feet. The finches are chronically picking at them as if they're irritated, sometimes to the point of bleeding. The birds frequently perch on one leg, indicating their discomfort. The condition waxes and wanes, and doesn't respond to any anti-mite therapy (oral ivermectin being the most frequent approach we've taken). It almost always resolves after some time, only to recur a few weeks to months later. We clean their perches regularly, and we change their food and water daily.

What could this problem stem from? Poor diet? Chlorinated water? We're at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Bruce and Miriam

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Finch's are known for having allergies to certain cleaning products.
    I find cleaning perches with boiling water with salt and lemon or orange essence is the best way to go.

Also when there skin becomes too dry they start to itch and bite so its best to have a bird bath or dish of water in the cage for them to bathe see if this helps.

Mike

3. Bruceski

Bruceski New Member

Thank you very much. We considered this a possibility, but changing cleaning soaps had no effect. Now we feel we should probably avoid soap completely.

Could you be more specific how you prepare the cleaning solution with boiling water with salt and lemon or orange essence? Is this adequate for regular, everyday cleaning of the feeding and water dishes?

Thanks in advance,
    Bruce and Miriam and the Finches

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

What i do is boil the kettle and in a bowl or dish i add 2 tablespoons of salt and the juice of 2lemons mix together, I scub the perhces with just warm water and then i soak the perches in the dish or bowl for about 25mins this is my birds out of cage time.

I then rinse in warm water and dry.
    If using wooden perches placing them in a hot oven for 10minutes will dry them out.

As for the water and food dishes i wash them out with a clean cloth and warm water then i soak them in boiling water with a few drops of lemon juice for about 10mins then i rinse and dry.

I always have spare food and water dishes aswell as spare perch's

I do a thorough cage clean once a week where everything in soaked and clean thoroughly here is a website that has some great cleaning tips..

Hope this has helped.

http://landofvos.com/articles/clean.html

Mike

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't use anything but water to clean our cage. I wipe down the grate at the bottom of the cage every day and everything comes off quite easily. Once a week or so, I take out the perches and wipe them off with a wet paper towel. So far, so good!