1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

10 gallon stocking question

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Apr 9, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

so we were planning to get a 10 gallon and put a single blood parrot in it.
    the guy at the lfs said it would be fine. is he right???

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

no, a single blood parrot needs a bigger tank....dont quote me on this, but im, thinking maybe around 25-30 gallons

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

ten gallon is to small for a blood parrot

4. tski22

tski22 New Member

1 blood parrot all by itself needs approximately 30 gallons. Add 10 gallons for each other parrot due to terriotorial aggression. -tl

5. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Not only that, but parrots do better in groups of four..or in a pair. When they are alone, they really don't act too healthy.
    Try to get yourself a bigger tank, and you will have more options in the future.

6. tyler_medeiros

what other chichlids are colourful that can live individually or in pairs in a 10 gallon

7. tyler_medeiros

is there any cichlid that can live in a 10 gallon.
    how about a kribensis???

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, I believe kribs and rams should be okay in a 10 gallon (but someone feel free to correct me because I've never kept them before).

-Chelle

9. tyler_medeiros

10g
    * x1 Apistogramma
    * x6 Neon Tetras
    Planted

10g
    * x2 Dwarf Rainbow Cichlids (kribsensis)
    Planted

do either of these sound fine

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not 100% sure that the Apistogramma won't be too aggressive for the neons, but other than that, they sound good to me.

-Chelle

11. gravity

gravity New Member

Shelldwellers are also cichlids that are suitable for a 10g tank. Similis and multis get about 2 inches, and you could probably squeeze a 1m 2f trio in a 10g tank if you have enough shells, but you'd need to make it a species tank.

You can get more info here:
    http://shelldwellers.com/

12. tyler_medeiros

ya so we dropped the idea of cichlids and are going to go with a 10 gallon tank with 2-4 platies and about 4-6 neon tetras. just something cute and simple.
    thanks for your help with the cichlids though. We are goig to hold off and get a 65 gallon in a couple of years to go with the 29 gallon 10 gallon and 2 gallon bowl.