1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, May 15, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey, Well through and through its been rough as hell getting started with fish but now that both of my tanks are as stable as their gonna get I'm getting a plain old 10 gallon tank with a lid, could someone suggest a good filter and some very low maintance but neat looking fish? I'd like to get some active ones confsidering my beta is very in-active and my guppies are kinda chilled. thanks

2. Jennytoons

Jennytoons New Member

Do you plan for a fresh or salt water tank?

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

definitally fresh... i dont know the first thing about saltwater tanks

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Well zebra danios are probably the most active fish EVER! They're seriously psycho!!! But then maybe that's just mine, my betta and guppies are also very active. Rummynose tetras are the best schoolers and are very active in a larger school of around 8. Can't come up with anything else at the moment, but I'll edit this when I think of anything.

5. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

The most active freshwater fish that I have kept were Rosey barbs. I wasn't all that excited about them because they look somewhat like gold fish (but a little brighter pinkish with a greenish-yellow stripe on their backs) but the man who owns the L.F.S. pushed them a little saying how exciting they were and he was right! They never stopped chasing each other around in circles! All over the tank they remind me of children that hold both hands together and spin in circles!!! :lol:

6. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I think most "barbs" are fin nippers arent they? If this is true I would not put them in with guppys or a betta.

7. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I thought that they were for the new empty 10 g tank ! :roll: Also there are community fish (so I was told when purchasing) Tiger barbs and tinfoil barbs are fin nippers but not these they were labelled community not cation.

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Well you'd be surprised how many people are more then willing to GIVE away their fishie tanks, its yardsale weeks so their all over the place and she/he was right, its going into a new 10 gallon aside from my other 2 tanks.

Thanks for the suggetions, i had remebered seeing the "rosey" barbs at petsmart (lfs) and they were pretty active but i dont remeber then resembling goldfish but that would definitally be a no-no since i slaughtered many a goldfish during my first weeks of keeping an aquarium :cry: may they rest in peace lol

9. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I wish I could find some tanks!!! I'll have to check out some garage sales myself!!! :lol: Lucky You :lol: ! Make sure when you set them up to check first that they don't have any leaks. I would fill it up in the tub or outside to see first so it dosen't get messy. If I were you I would bleach it out and then RINSE, RINSE, RINSE! to be sure that they don't have any diseases or anything lurking around in them, cause who knows what happened in them. In case you are new at this make sure to let it cycle before you put your new fish in them, but it sounds like the first two you got have healthy fish in them. Have a bawl with your new hobby!!! Beware, it can get expensive though! I got a lg tank and stand for free once but I spent $500 in two weeks for the essentials to start it up!!! :shock: As far as a filter goes, I like the H.O.B. filters , myself. Mine are Aquclear and they work good for me. Mine are lg, but for a 10 g the mini Aquaclear may suffice. Check with the "knowlegeable" staffmembers at the L.F.S. because I'm not positive on how many gallons per hour the mini does. The box will say but usually you need more than the box says you do! Good Luck! :lol:

10. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Mmm maybe i should check garage sales too. :D

11. greatfalls

greatfalls New Member

NEOUNS ROCK

12. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

im afraid i will head you toward more live bearers!

i do like my live bearers, and my guppes are rediculusly active!

neons are excellent. they make the tank look really stocked when it isnt which is good.

a fluval one plus is a simple easy to use/clean./and kepp/ filter.

how about glass catfish? they hover in weed!

13. ClassicalPunk321

ClassicalPunk321 New Member

SALT WATER?????!!!!

SALT WATER AQUARIUMS ARE NEVER SUITABLE FOR A 10 GAL. TANK.

First of all, you would be wasting WAY too much money to for that tiny tank.

SO don't even THINK about a 10 Gal. saltwater tank!
    :x :x :x