1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

13 week puppy chasing cat

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by zeusmomma, Apr 18, 2004.

1. zeusmomma

zeusmomma New Member

Zeus is 13 weeks old, and we used to have a kitten that would play with him. Since then we had to give the kitten to a new home...but we have a much older cat that zeus still tries to play with like he used to with the kitten. He gets pretty rough, (hopping all over the place, and jumbing on her) Will this be a problem in the future...and how do i get him to cut it out?? Any advice would be great guys...thanks!!
    [​IMG]

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

he should settle down over time. is the cat able to scratch him? usually a scratch from the cat will make them back off a bit. make sure the cat has a good place to hide.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Squirt Bottle will hep curb the problem when you're around... Make sure the dog is kept contained AWAY from the cat when you're not home though... Just in case you might not have known that...

4. zeusmomma

zeusmomma New Member

I never thought of the squirt bottle...Ill try that. No the cat is declawed...but she always finds good place to jump on to. Zeus is definately crated during the day...and at night...he likes to chew.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

What a great Momma!!!

Sometimes also noise works... Like a can full of rocks or pennies shaken might get the dog's attention but...with APBT's we know how determined they are. Sound wouldn't have put a dent in my Hunnyjade's enthusiasm for trouble...but that squirt bottle whips her RIGHT into shape...LOL

6. JJ Luchiano

JJ Luchiano New Member

My girlfriend has 2 cats. They try to fight with my pits like they are dogs themselves. Usually just call the name of your pit or use/teach a command to the pit. A loud command works for me.

7. zeusmomma

zeusmomma New Member

Sara thanks so much!!! Ive ben using the squirt bottle and it has been working like a charm! It looks like he is starting to think twice before he goes after the cat now... It's funny b/c he doesnt know im the one squirting him...so he gets it confused with rain...so now before he tries to play with the cat he looks around to try and find the water..lol! Thanks alot!! [/img]

8. Sara

Sara New Member

I'm glad that's working for you!

9. Sook

Sook New Member

i had this problem, i was aggressive in my approach in to teaching him to leave cats alone, @ all costs...

My cats about 13 years old, frail and cranky, to say the least it puts up with the dog and every now and then gives him a jab on a "walkby" (think driveby styles :p), But scooby used to chase all cats, till one afternoon i watched him corner my cat, his intentions were clear, im going to eat you cat.. Theres a few things about scooby, he'll chase something till the death, hes not worried about being hurt/cut/scratched/kicked (and i mean hard)

I dragged him aside and firmly delt to him with his "whinnie the whale" its called, smacking stick, since that day, hes been a blessing to my cat, gentle as a tuckered out kitten.
    We recently moved premises and theres alot of younger and bigger cats around, hes horded them away nicely and actually prevented my cat from having to fight with another...

But thats another bad image people have labeled these lovely animals with, cat killing.. I think its kinda natural all dogs chase cats, natural instinct no.?