1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

16 year old deafness

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginny, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi,

My old cat Cassie appears to have lost her hearing, or at least most of it and it seems to have happened quite quickly too. She is very jumpy, especially if there is a rustling noise, like a packet of crisps being opened, or if there is a loud noise she'll twitch or jump.

She is also going into very deep sleeps, which in a way is nice but I have to keep checking she's breathing she's so out of it! Times she has frightened me, and I've just sat there staring to make sure there's some movement!

It just upsets me to see her so jumpy. It's also very sad that she no longer comes when I call her, she knows her name so well yet she can't hear me :cry:

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

years ago we had a dog who appeared to have lost her hearing yet if I got my car keys out she'd be right there for her ride.
    Have you tested her by making a noise behind her head to see if she reacts? Drop something to see if she jumps.
    It's hard when they start to age and we see the signs of them slowing down

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

It is so hard to see our fur babies get old!!! Have you checked her ears? I know it's a long shot but maybe they are dirty or infected.
    Hang in there and give her tons of love!!! I know the feeling about having to watch for movement....I've had to do that alot with Patches when she sleeps so soundly.

4. vene

vene New Member

5. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thanks all, and thanks for the links too.

:y_the_best: