1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

2 questions.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Neon, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Neon

Neon New Member

1) what kind of fish ( besides betta ) can i have in a small tank or bowl without a filter? and can i have more than one?

2) Can a female betta get along with a fish from my first question?

2. gravity

gravity New Member

How big would this tank or bowl be? Goldfish are usually ok without filtration/heat, but they are dirty and would need a lot of water changes in a small environment.

3. Neon

Neon New Member

If i got a tank it would be 10g bowl prolly 5g

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

actually gravity, goldfish do need filtation and usually require a tank size of at least 55 gallons.

5. dude412

dude412 New Member

o.k heres how i see it depending on your bowl some small tetras like neons maybe2-3-maybe 4 im not sure depending on your bowl are good cuz like like cooler temps or you could go with feeder guppies i have 2 i rescued lol there great cuz they dont eat much and dont poo much either so there pretty cool and are gradient with temps i loe my little guys

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Neons need heaters

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Pretty much the only things you can keep in a bowl (preferably 2+ gallons) w/o a heater, aeration, or filter would be a betta, ghost shrimp, snails, or african dwarf frogs. The frogs are kind of iffy, though because they are a little sensitive more to water quality and the water would still have to stay warmish (75* +)

And the only reason those animals can live w/o filteration & aeration is because they breath atmospheric air, are small, and can tollerate 100% water changes (which would need to be done about once a week depending on the size of the bowl).

-Chelle

8. gravity

gravity New Member

I had no idea goldfish needed filtration and heaters. When I was a kid my family kept goldfish without them and the goldfish did just fine. That, and they were in a goldfish bowl that couldn't have been more than 5 gallons. I'm stunned. We kept goldfish for years under those conditions because my sister and I kept winning them at school fairs. I even kept some in college without heat/filtration. Are you sure ALL goldfish need big tanks and filtration? This goes against all of my personal experience with them.

As an aside, couldn't a White Cloud Minnow also be acceptable? I heard from an 'unreliable' source that they can live in toilet bowl water. Basically, I heard it from someone who very likely would try the fish in those conditions....

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

yah gold fish get large and they dont really need heat depending on where you live, and the ones u kept in those conditions were probaly stunted :roll:

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think you where lucky the goldfish managed to survive and the goldfish where severely stunted and not very healthy.

Even the smallest variety of goldfish gets 5" or 6". And common goldfish (like what's given away at fairs) should get over 12". Goldfish are incredibly messy fish (on par with cichlids). It simply is not kind to keep them in a small bowl.

And just because a fish can manage to not die in a tiny bowl or "toilet water", it doesn't mean it's good for them. As fish keepers, our goals should be to provide the best possible care for our fish (just like you would with a cat, dog, snake, rabbit, etc). Sure a great dane could probably survive in a 3' x 6' closet, but that's not even close to being good for it.

-Chelle