1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

29 Gallon Poll

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 16, 2004.

?

What should I get for my 29 gallon??

1. Bucktoothed Tetra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ropefish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I need to fill up my 29 gallon again.[/img]

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Ropefish are the best! What are you guys talking about! Lol!

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

lol, yeah but why not try smthin new?

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Yeah, it says they are best kept in groups and I think you'd be hard pressed to even keep one in a 29. Is it a long tank or a 29 tall?

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

Also, for the bucktooths it is recommended to not keep less than 12 per aquarium. I don't think you could realistically keep 12 7 inch fish in 29 gallons of water (less actually if you want to be technical). You could keep just one I suppose but that would be awfully lonely for a tetra.

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, porb. would be....i wouldnt suggest egttin 12 for a 29 gallon either

8. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Today I got one Bucktoothed Tetra for the 29. Right now its in the 10. They dont get 7 inches in the aquarium (about 4 inches maybe 3). The 29 is long and tall.

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Just remember they dont really change size per fish tank!

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's because people genrally keep them in tanks that are too small and they get stunted.

-Chelle

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Too bad you did not have a bigger tank to keep a ropefish!

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Yeah, but I don't know if I really want one now that I heard they go on hunger strikes and stress real easy :?

13. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Cool someone got exodons! how much was it, i think 12 will be okay in ur 30g

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay, I did some reading on exodons. Everything I found says at least 55 gallons (but bigger would be better). And they get 7".

Any fish that should get 7" but only get's 2" - 3" in an aquarium is in too small of an aquarium and is stunted. Putting 12 in a 30 gallon is just asking for dead fish.

-Chelle

15. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I musta found more than ya cuz I found 2 saying 30 gallons. There's no way I am gonna put my single tetra in a 55 or bigger aquarium. 30 is fine. I mean if your gonna get a big tank like 55 or 75 get something big and aggressive not one tetra. 12 would be ok in the 55 but I would get more. The tetra cost $9.99 and is 2 inches.

16. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Cool ya i think thats dumb keepin 1 in a 55g? cant u keep like 6?

17. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

In the 30 I can prolly keep 6 and maybe 12. In the 55 only god knows how many you could keep lol. I mean they are tetras.

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

12 7" fish will NOT fit in a 30 gallon tank. Sure they're only 2" right now, but fish, like all living things, have a tendency to grow. And just because they're tetras, it doesn't mean they're going to stay small. Pacus are also tetras and they can get 2' - 3'.

-Chelle

19. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

We saying it's rare in the aquaria fo them to get 7 inches i havent seen any pics of them that big. maybe up to 4 inches.

20. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ok, assuming they do get to only four inches it would still be quite crowded for 12 fish in a tank as small as a 30 gallon. Also, with them being so aggressive and getting so large I can't picture that a 30 gallon would be able to give enough hiding spots for a picked on fish (as there always are with fish like this, they act kind of like tropheus in this respect from what I've researched) to go to recover. Would also be very hard on your filter. JMO.