1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

3 Myths

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by winnie, Sep 24, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

ok as some may know I am writing a speech on pitbulls and the myths about them. Thank you all who have given me links to some great websites! I got some great info. However I'm trying to narrow it down, my speech is only suppose to be 5-7 min. So what would you guys think are 3 of the most common myths about Pitbulls. I'll write down what I think the 3 are but if anyone has any others please let me kow..thanks agian. :)

Myth 1. Locking Jaws
    Myth two. Born agressive
    Myththree. the breed that is mostly envolved in bites and attacks(on people and humans)

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Myth 4: All pit ownere are drug dealers and gangsters or involved in dog fighting. (Reality:) Owners range from physicians, accountants, to teachers, authors, and laborers. Mostly people who are working hard to dispel this myth.

Myth 5: These dogs can't tell the difference between animals and children.
    (Reality:) These breeds can have a high prey drive and may kill pocket pets, cats and even small dogs, but this isn't the same behavior as human aggression or predation. The fighting breeds traditionally have been known for their kindness to children.

3. Angie

Angie New Member

:( I was just writing for about 10 minutes and I hit a button and everything disappeared! :cry:

I start over now...

Ok.
    The first thing, IMO, that is very important is the statistics (sp?). I am sure that most people think that Pit Bulls are at the top of the list but I dont think that they are ? I think its important to show them which breed is at the top of the list and where Pit Bulls are on the list.

The second myth would have to be, like love da pits said, about human and animal aggression. IMO, most people dont know the difference and dont even know that there IS a difference. I think that there was a post about this before. If you decide to write about this myth, you might want to ask Ture_Pits, I think he/she (?) posted a lot about it.

And the last one, that is very common IMO, is the locking jaws. Even I used to think this was true because its what everybody said. Then I read about it and I think people should know that Pit Bulls are just like any other breed.

What really ticks me off is when I see a report on the news about a "Pit Bull" attack. And they show a picture of a mutt or something that resembles a Pit Bull. It really gets on my nerves that these people don't really even know the breed of dog and just say 'Pit Bull' because it looks like one. All they do is put bad thoughts in peoples head.

Yesterday, I went to visit my brother. I was sitting on the sofa and Meadow came wagging her tail by me for attention. Then she puts her front paws on me and tries to give me kisses. She tried to sit in my lap! LOL. How can anybody think that Meadow would be a 'mean dog' because of her breed, because she is a Pit Bull? She is the most loveable dog I know and most people wouldn't even give her a chance.

Not a myth but...
    The animal control or whatever it is that comes around giving rabies shots? made us fill out a form. Full description of dog, owner and dog information, and picture of the dog.
    Now they call us and say that we have to get our Pit Bulls microchipped.
    Incase the dog gets lost or stolen, it can be identified. But what I don't understand is why its only Pit Bulls? What if our border collie gets lost or stolen? Why mandatory for one and not the other? Personally, I would not get it done. My dog stays in the kennel when I am not home or am asleep. My dog never goes outside without me. She will not get lost. And nobody is going to steal my big animal. Most people are scared of her anyway bc she is big. I have to go get her microchipped today.
    Maybe they just need to make money?

Anyway, I hope you post your report so we can read it???

:D

4. Angie

Angie New Member

Winnie, you should use the two baby pics (in the post 'The different faces of Pit Bull's') for your report!
    That would be good visual aid if you get pics with babies or little kids with Pit Bulls.

5. winnie

winnie New Member

Thats a great idea Angie!!! I will do that! Thanks everyone for your input. I was suppose to give my speech on Monday but i had an emergancy wisdom teeth removle yesterday so i got it postponed. Now I have time to make the speech extra special!!! Thanks agian everyone!!!!

6. Angie

Angie New Member

:D

Will we get to read it?

:y_the_best:

Its ok if not!! :)

7. winnie

winnie New Member

of course you will get to read it...:) I will post it when it is finished!!!! Thanks agian for all the help...:)