1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

3 questions I need advice on

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by txgurl19, Aug 5, 2006.

1. txgurl19

txgurl19 New Member

Ok I have a mutt. He looks german sheppard but he looks husky. Anyways....How do I get him to stop barking at complete strangers? I mean how do I teach him to tell the difference between people who are friendly and people who will harm him or I? 2nd of all.... how do I get him to stop eating my cats food? and lastly he likes to get in to the litter box.... to eat poop... what do I do??

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you'll probably never get him to stop eating cat food or its byproducts.
    Move both out of reach. I have to feed my cats on my counter it's the only spot I have available. I know people who put the cat food on their dryer or washer to keep in out of reach - mine is in the basement so that would be a pain.
    Same with litterbox - keep it out of reach or put somewhere the dog can't get to it. I have baby gates up to both bathrooms (litterbox in each) and th other litterbox is on the workbench in the basement.
    On the barking at people....I'd suggest a behaviorist. I had to with my Molly cause she's an anxious dog and treated everyone like they were out to get her. I have a lot of work to do with her on her trust issues and it's taking awhile.
    When we go for walks and she starts to react to people we have to turn around and go in the other direction - she needs to think we have control of the situation rather than her thinking she has to take control by barking at strangers.
    She comes in the house after us (and out after us) rather than before us - we take on the job of "scanning" for danger before allowing her outside rather than letting her do the "scanning" for danger.
    I give her permission to get or out of my car rather than letting her just hop ing.
    She has to work to play - when she brings us a toy she has to sit to play. If she won't sit she doesn't get the toy back - it becomes mine.
    Treat - she has to do something to get her treat.
    NILF - nothign in life is free. The dog has to see that YOU are in control, especially around strangers, rather than him controlling the situation

3. txgurl19

txgurl19 New Member

I understand what you...

I understand what you are saying but I want him to be protective over me in bad situations but not in good ones...Does that make sense?

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you might want to seek the advice of a trainer then. Your dog will need to learn the difference between situations he needs to protect you and those he doesn't.
    and you need to be sure he knows the difference too

5. Nik

Nik New Member

Re: I understand what you...

I think by teaching your dog that strangers are ok and nice to be around, you're teaching him that if there's a time you're not happy with a certain stranger, he shoudln't be.

What I mean is, even the most friendliest dog will respond to their owner shouting, screaming or if a stranger approached from out of nowhere or suddenly without warning. They'd just be naturally alerted... wouldn't they?

It's the same kind of situation where when you're walking down the street and your loosly holding your dogs leash, he's merrily trotting along side you, but if you go tense or gather his leash in he's going to look around to see what's bothering you, so it'll bother him.