1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

4 Baby Zebra Finch

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by iobre8ks, Feb 5, 2005.

1. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

86% of the eggs that i had hatched or 6/7 although only 57% lived or 4/7 Which aren't real good odds.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Onsidering that finch's will kill there chicks if they get disturbed to much you have done pretty good.

Mine have started breeding again i did not want them to start yet but nothing i can do hopefully she won't lay eggs since i removed the nest box.

Mike

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

All three of the regular babies left the nest today. When i noticed this i removed the nest in hopes the mom will not lay again for a while. I have read that you should not split the couples between breeding since they may grow apart from each other and if she does lay let her lay in the bottom of the cage and then just remove the eggs. I am also going to keep a baby from both of the pairs that i have and breed them so then i will have three pairs. I am so excited. One of the babies today when i opened the cage for cleaning flew out and then every time i went by the cage he/she would sit by the door and have this face like he/she wanted me to open up an let him/her fly around the room. It was really cute. It will be another 4-6 weeks before i can tell if they are male or female and then i am going to sell the other two.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Thats cool. my baby is almost 6weeks old and is for sure a female looks identicle to her mum the beak has started going orange and since its an only chick it likes to be handled all the time.

She is going into her own cage tomorrow hopefully she will adapt well i am placing her cage next to the parents cage just so it can still see her.

The pair have started bredding again which is not what i had planned so she is trying to nest in the food dishes so looks like the nest will have to go back on if she lays an egg i am praying she does not hehehehe.

My cockatiels have 4 eggs but i do not think they are fertile will have to wait and see.

Great news about your birds doing so well i like a happy ending..

Mike

5. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

these two finches are excellent parents the last clutch they had one died when it was two weeks old. They raised the other two very well one male and one female sold both of them in december. Now they have three about three weeks old will sell them at about six to seven weeks old plan on keeping one of these and then the one fawn baby that i have.