1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

4 new baby finches

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Mar 3, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hey Mike!
    Sorry to hear about your gerbils, it's always hard to deal with any kind of death no matter how tiny they may be...they still affect you in a big way.
    My puppy is doing fine, his name is "Chavo" and he's growing like a weed. I've now got 4 baby zebra finches from the same pair that had the previous baby. The crested finch has 2 fertile eggs out of 4 that should hatch tomorrow or Friday...if any hatch at all....this is their first clutch. I'm hoping so to see how many crested babies I get. I don't know how the genetics work...the hen is a normal and the male is crested. Well, my parents puppy and Chavo are going at it (playin too rough....my parents dog just got spayed last Monday)
    Take care all
    -Mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi congratulations on the new additions and glad to hear the pup is doing well.

How the genetics usually works is the male will pass on his genes and colours to the females and the female will pass her genes and colours to the male.

My baby finch is a fawn like its mother and i thought it was a she but actually she is a he funny how genetics work.

So its a 50/50 chance of you having crested females.
    With birds you can breed father with daughter and mother to son.

So lets say you have crested females if you bred them with there father you would end up with crested babies maybe with one that is different which could take after your grey female.

I am still waiting for mine to lay again as for some reason the male has started eating eggs that have been laid and on 2 occasions the female has been sat on her perch and she just laid the egg needless to say they smashed on the floor.

I think she is confused as to who her mate is now as the baby male has started calling like his father and my female keeps trying to get out of her cage so she can get to the baby male.

I would put him back with them but the chance of the older male plucking the baby or killing him is too high and its not a risk i am willing to take.

I have removed the nest box for a little bit give them a break see if that helps if not i will just buy some more finch's or just buy my baby a mate and see how they get on think would be nice to see him with his own cage mate :)

Keep us posted of the babies progress and the development of the unhatched eggs.

Good luck.

Mike