1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

55 gallon fish compatability (discus)

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tski22, Apr 7, 2005.

1. tski22

tski22 New Member

Hello guys! I am gonig to be setting up my 55 gallon for my discus relatively soon. More than likely this weekend. Anyways I was looking at elephant noses at the LFS the other day and I thoguht it would be a cool addition to the discus planted aquarium. I know how elephant nsoes are and they are usually timid and reclusive but I was jsut wondering if I could add one with 3 or possibly 4 discus in a 55 gallon. What do you guys think. My water quality is always on the spot and I am very good on water changes. Thanks -tl

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

If the elephant nose is a no go does anone else have any opinion on a cool oddball fish for that aquarium. Thanks -tl

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

With discus, I would go with at least 75 gallons. I don't know about the elephant nose getting along with them either. Be ready to add peat to your cannister filter, as discus need soft water to survive. I believe that I have seen discus with angel fish in really big tanks with lots of long plants.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

as far as i know, discus's are best off in a species only tank

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

Yeah I dont want to risk it then. Hooben peat has already been added and has been in the filter for almsot a month before I got the discus. Thanks guys! -tl