1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

55 Gallon FOWLR Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Used, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Used

Used New Member

I wanted to share some pictures of my 55 gallon FOWLR saltwater tank with everyone. I will post the specs, inhabitants, and pictures.

55 gallon AGA(48"Lx13"Wx20"H)
    Current USA 2x65w PC light fixture
    AquaC Remora protein skimmer
    2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
    100w heater
    Coralife digital thermometer
    50lbs of white sand
    30lbs of base rock
    10lbs of Fiji live rock

*Just Added*

A 20g Refugium that is going to house Chaeto, Protein skimmer, and heater.

Inhabitants:

1 Firefish
    1 Ocellaris Clownfish
    1 Sandsifting Goby
    1 Whelk
    1 Peppermint Shrimp
    1 Strawberry Crab

Now time for the pictures and a video.

Full Tank Shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic Of Tank At Night With Moonlights On
    [​IMG]

Ocellaris Clownfish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firefish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandsifting Goby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of Sandsifting Goby
    http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Inc...nt=MVI_0705.flv

This is my first video I have taken. My hand was alittle shaky, but it is an okay video :) Comments are always welcomed.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Nice. Almost makes me want to start a SW tank.

-Chelle

3. Used

Used New Member

Thanks and you should really consider setting up a saltwater tank someday as they are very beautiful, and it is very interesting watching all the critters you get from the live rock. :D

4. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

:lol: i felt exactly the same after seeing these pictures. May start one myself soon. It is truly beautiful.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Problem is, there's already a ton of freshwater fish I'd like to keep too and I can only fit so many tanks in a house. Hmmm . . . If I can just learn to sleep standing up, it will free up some space in my bedroom for another tank . . . lol.

-Chelle

6. Used

Used New Member

I guess if it is okay with everyone I would like to keep this thread as a journal of my tank.

Update: Well I setup my 20g fuge, connected it, and it is now running perfectly. The fuge is going to accomplish two things:

- Added water volume
    - Will have Cheato which will consume nutrients and hopefully keep Nitrates down.
    - Protein skimmer, heater, and thermometer is placed in the fuge to eliminate the clutter in the main tank.

I set up the fuge alittle differently then the typical method. Instead of having gravity or siphon drain water from the main tank to the fuge and using a pump to return the water I have a Maxijet 1200 pump water from my 55g into the fuge then the water drains back via hole drilled in fuge. I am also going to raise the PVC pipe that pumps water to the fuge so there it eliminates the chance of the water backflowing or siphoning water back into the tank and overflowing the tank if there is a power outage.

Here are some pictures I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Killerbee2

Killerbee2 New Member

Nice Pictures....... :eek:

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Used, Just a suggestion. With the heater in the 20G your heating the 20G surrounding it rather than the 55G. The current flow between the 20G and 55G could cause a drop in temperature. I would start out monitoring the temperature in the 55G to make sure it remains constant. You may need to go to a slightly larger than normal heater to keep the temperature stable. Sharp looking setup! Professionally done!

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

great look tank i remeber when you just started it it looks great now

10. Used

Used New Member

Update: I recently added another small Ocellaris Clownfish to give my current Clownfish some company. When I first added the new Clownfish there was some aggression from my current Clown but after awhile they settled down and are now swimming around the tank together. Here are a few new fts and pics of inhabitants.

Without Flash
    [​IMG]

With Flash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Misc Fish/Invert Pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]