1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

55 gallon on upper floor of my house

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tski22, Dec 2, 2004.

1. tski22

tski22 New Member

will a 55 gallon be to heavy for the upper story of my house? any thoguhts -tl

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

For liability reasons I'm hesitant to say it's perfectly fine. But I think it should be okay. Having it against an outside wall, perpendicular to the floor joists, and/or above a wall on the 1st floor will help prevent it from crashing through the floor.

If you're really worried, you can always have a contractor or structural engineer check things out.

-Chelle

3. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

well

you have to just think about the type of weight you would be talking about

water is about 8.34lbs per gallon.......so a 55 gallon tank would weigh

55x8.34 = 458lbs for the water
    + 10-20 lbs of rock or decarations if you are going to do that
    + 10 lbs for the filter (remember this will have water in it)
    + stand weight we can assume say 30lbs
    + supplies and fish weight which can prob be neglected

bringing you to a grand total of about 515lbs!

you would not think it huh

so if you think your floors can support 3-4 averaged sized men standing in one spot for a long long time, then you should be ok ;)

hope this helps!

4. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

oh i forgot the weight of the tank :)......but you get the point

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

my boyfriend had a maybe 15 gal tank, or less in his room next to another 15gal on a vivarium, they lived fine untill his rents decided to move the first 15gal tank by pulling at the glass and it snapped and they had 15gals of water going thru lite bulbs and had to disconnect the electricity and hook out all the fish, so stability of the tank, is another issue,

6. 3_second_memory

but then saying that i hold a 15gal a 36 gal and an 8.2 gal tank in my room with is a room in the roof! and theyre fine up there. so its not evena house. !

7. jeff9373

jeff9373 New Member

Ive had 55 gallon tanks on second floors many times and never had a problem but I would think it would matter on how old the house is

8. tski22

tski22 New Member

thanks for the rplys all but it will be going on my first floor now so it doesnt make a difference thanks though. -tl

9. 3_second_memory

your welcome