1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

55 gallon tank to stock

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sakura.seppun, Jul 30, 2005.

1. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

My Grandmother has a 55 gallon tank that I am extrememly jealous of, so instead of stealing it, I'm just going to help her set it up. She has all the required equipment and everything, in fact my pleco that was getting too large is in there now.
    I wanted to know some fish, and numbers, that she can keep in there easily. I was thinking maybe some Gouramis and tetras? If that sounds good, can several different breeds of Gourami's go together? As I said there is already a common pleco in there, but that's all, and no tank as pretty as her's should go to waste.

Thanks for any help.

2. Trickster

Trickster New Member

2 gouramis in a 1 tank aient usually a good idea but in such a big tank it should be fine. People who have such big tanks should use em to keep big fish, not some 10gallon size fish that you barely see with all the decorations.

I recommend a nice cichlid tank, goto a lfs, see wut kind you like, post em here, and we can tell you wut u can actually get.

3. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

I doubt she could handle chichilids. Thats why I was thinking maybe 4 gouramis and 4 great danios + the current pleco.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd be a bit hesitant to put 4 of the larger species of gouramis (ie opaline, 3 spot, blue, etc) in a 55. Maybe if you can find 1 male & 3 females (2 males & 2 females might work).

-Chelle

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

good point about the cichlids.

Alot of seperate school of tetras would look nice. It would be like the gangs of new york with all the fish spread out in groups (5 black tetras, 5 cardnials, 5 rummy nose, 5 emperor, 5 pristella tetras and then maybe a gourami or 2)

But dont add all the tetras at once, 1 group per week should be fine.
    And tetras are very easy to take care of. The pleco is good since scrubing algea off a 55gallon aient ideal.

Anway good luck

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Not really. When plecos get bigger, they really don't eat algae.

-Chelle