1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

6 month old going into heat

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by codawgx, Jul 9, 2004.

1. codawgx

codawgx New Member

My Blue Pit puppy is just starting her first heat. She seems to get very agitated very easy with people. She gives a low growl and then snaps at people (a little girl) that she has known and played with since she was 6 weeks old. Is ths just because she is going into heat or some other reason? What can I do about this if anything? How long and how many times will she go into heat?

I ask because she is the first female dog I have ever owned.

I own a 2 year old Red Nose Pit Bull and he is a sweet heart. My puppy and him get along just fine but this last week or so it seems like she getting to aggressive with him. She is obviously playing but it is getting a little rough. Is there anything I can do to keep them from having a dominance problem. My male is extremely dominant and will not back down from a single thing. He is not aggresive until provoked. He just stands his ground.

2. Coconut

Coconut New Member

If you're not able to spay her, then monitor her around people. The heat should last three weeks and will come twice a year.

3. codawgx

codawgx New Member

so her little attitude problem is just coming from her going into heat. She is usually a sweet dog and loves to play chase with little kids.

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

dogs can get quite grumpy when they are in heat. just keep an eye on her and let her have some quiet time if she gets the grumps on.

5. Jody

Jody New Member

Miah used to get quite cranky when she was coming into heat, but after we got her spayed, she was right.

Good luck with your new furbabie. :y_the_best:

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i can remember when kuma was in heat. she was never happy, wasnt interested in hugs and kisses and ignored us :cry:

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

That sounds like a serious issue. people aggression isn't something common to the breed. I'd watch her and her behavior around people. And continue to keep a good eye on her with the male. i've had/have unspayed females, never a problem like that. Sometimes they won't want to be messed with hugged/play but they don't snap or growl. This does sound like a dominance issue, dominating dogs, kids, giving them warnings. Just keep watching her and see what happens after her heat has passed.

8. codawgx

codawgx New Member

sorry so late to reply. And thanks for the responses. She has had no other fits besides the one. She seems to have settled down alot now that she is out of her first heat. Now she plays with the little girls like nothing was wrong in the first place. We still keep a good eye on her just to make sure. Thanks again.

9. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

so, are you going to spay her? :|

10. codawgx

codawgx New Member

I have people wanting me to breed her with their pits saying they would take full responsability for the puppys. But I am not going to do that. I dont like not knowing where the puppys would end up. So I thinks its just best to get her fixed.

11. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

There's always going to be people like that. I'm glad to hear your making the responsible decision. As far as them taking full responsibility, that hardly happens especially since your the one with the female.