1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

7 1/2 year old male Am Staff with pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MyPetTherapyDog, Mar 2, 2007.

1. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Hello:
    Has anyone had any experience with their dogs getting acute pancreatitis?
    My sweet boy Cairo was hospitalized yesterday with an acute case of pancreatitis.
    His symptoms came on suddenly and began with diarrhea then in the middle of the night on Monday. The diarrhea seemed to go away by Tuesday morning. But then in the middle of the night on Tuesday, he vomited about 10 times along with having more diarrhea. I took him to the vets early Wednesday morning.

Please keep my guy in your thoughts and prayers!

Sue

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

My Prayers to Cairo. Did she come back positive on the test

I had a scare with Wylie a few years ago. The vet thought it was pancreatits, so they treated her as such, since the test had to be sent away and it took like 4 days to get teh results. it did come back negative, They kept her at he vet for 3 days on only liquid feeding and intraveneous fluids. I first thought now how could she get tis because its usually caused by them them eating large of amounts of fatty foods, like getting to the trash or something. I have since learned even a small amount of people food can trigger it.

3. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Hi:
    Its hard to tell what caused this. He is overweight :( and does eat table food. Guess that will have to change. A high fat diet can cause this so I am wondering if his diet was too high in fat?
    He is middle age7 1/2 years old and he fits the profile for pancreatitis.
    I called today, my husband I were told that we should not visit him today cause he would get agitated. He was doing well, stil NPo (nothing to eat or drink) on pain meds and iv abx. and iv fluids. They will try giving him water tomorrow. If he holds that down, they will try a bland diet. If he holds that down, he may go home tomorrow night.
    Lets pray he does well.
    On another note, my daughter is 9 months pregnant with our first granddaughter and she has severe asthma. She also presented tonight with symptoms of Pre-eclampsia ! She will probably be admitted tomorrow am!
    I work full time in ICu (Not a nurse) only secretary! but I have been working in intensive care for 23 years!!!! at a hospital so obviously I was worried sick!!!!!!!!
    They sent her home on total bedrest! Told to lay on her left side and come in immediately if she worsens. Then,
    My pocket book got stolen today at the bike path while I was walking on of my many pit bulls sooooooo
    WHEN WILL IT STOP???????
    little stressed out now!
    Keep us in your thoughts!
    Sue

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh Susan, when it rains it pours :( Prayers for your daughter and a healthy baby.

glad to hear Cairo is going to be okay. I understand the visiting can be touchy, they just want ot him to be relaxed as he can be on not get excited when he sees you. We visited Wylie when she was in and it was so hard to see her like that.

And yep no more people food for him

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sue, please still think it was destiny she found you, she was able to pass with dignity, and not out in the cold.

You have so much postive things going now with a baby on the way and Cairo on the mend

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sue, please still think it was destiny she found you, she was able to pass with dignity with people around that cared , and not out in the cold.

You have so much postive things going now with a baby on the way and Cairo on the mend