1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

7 Week - German Shep. puppy - Very Needy, Whines

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Love Dogs, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Love Dogs

Love Dogs New Member

We just got a 7 week old German Shepherd male pup - he is very needy. Cries when you leave the room. Either myself or my husband have to be with him at all times so that he does not cry.

Also, if you're in the same room but not within his vision, he will cry. Sometimes he seems cranky and cries.

What should we do to make him less needy? Is this a GSD trait? I don't remember our Eskie being so needy when she was a puppy (she is now almost 3 years old).

Also - crate training not going too well. He cries all night, until he tires himself out, rests (breathing very hard) and continues his crying. The crate is in our bedroom at night so we try to comfort him and when that doesn't work, we say "no". PLEASE any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
    Kate

2. ande95

ande95 New Member

I have never had a german shepard so I cant help ya there. But we just got a shih poo a couple weeks ago and went through the crying and whinng. I think it is because he is only 7wks and it is the first time away from his mom and litter mates. He will eventually get used it . It took almost a whole week till Boomer stopped whining in his crate. I put him next to my bed so when he crys I just put my hand by the crate and he settles down. Just comfortaing to know I am right there I think. But for the whining and crying when you are not right next to him....not sure. If Boomer cant see us he will give a little bark and maybe whimper a little...but then he will just lay down. I think it is just gonna take time and patience. How is your other dog with him? It took our older dog a good week to warm up to him...now they both seem pretty happy. And if I am not in the room now, Boomer will just hang out with Bear. Hope things start to get a little better for you. Just hang in there and be patient with him....as he gets older he will understand better.

3. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog New Member

New 7 week GSD

I'm having the same problems with my GSD can anyone help me out? Also my puppy will wake me up at midnight, 2:00 AM and at 5:00 AM to take him out so he can do his thing or sometimes he will just sit there and look at me and not do anything.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, At 7 weeks old he should still be with his mum, at this age they are just starting to learn from there mum and litter mates.

I bred GSD so my advice is give him an old t-shit or other piece of clothing with your perfume/aftershave on it, Also a teddybear to cuddle upto, a small ticking clock under his blankets will mimic his mothers heartbeat.

When he cries let him cry do not go to him as this will enforce this behaviour, He will quickly learn i cry scream and whimper on someone will come to me. So placing your hand down to the crate to comfort him during the night is actually rewarding negative behaviour.
    So its best to stop going to him now or you will end up with seperation anxiety problems later on..

As dor toilet training always take them out at the same times keep everything to a routine if possible, Take outside as soon as they wake, after eating, drinking, playing make sure you take them to the place you want them to go and a simple word like go potty usually does the trick, Always praise them for getting it right and give a small treat.

One thing i will say is if they ever have an accident on the rug never rub there nose in it,most people seem to think this helps with training it does not the only thing it does is make the dog fearful of you aswell as damaging there noses. never tell them off if they do it when your not around as they will not know what they have done wrong.

Hope this helps...

Mike

5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog New Member

Mike,

Okay! I still haven't tried the old t-shirt thing I will do that day. As for his teddy he already has one but sometimes he will start play with his bunny at 1:00 am and I have to get up and take it from him. As for the small clock I had placed one under his pillow and he kept on finding it and biting it so once again I had to take it from him.

Training him to poop and peep is something I'm still working with him. He will peep on the spot we have trained him on but will poop some where else. How can I fix that problem.

He will cries some nights but will start breathing very hard and continues his crying. So I should stop going to his crate?

Thank you for your help,
    Alex

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Congrats on the new puppy and yes things will settle down it will just take some time he is very young. He is missing his mom and litter mates! Keep up with the crate training but stop going to him when he crys. That will get better and he will want to be in his crate they see it as their den their safe place. If you keep going to him you will be enforcing the negative behavior and it will just get worse. The teddy bear (bunny)he is making his litter mate don't take it from him, it will give him peace. a clock radio has helped me in the past, but I didn't put it in his crate I would put it on top of his crate. Shirts and towels that have your scent will help.
    good luck and keep up the good work it will pay off in the end. Just be patient he is very young and had a big change happen to him being taken from mom and siblings...