1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

7 Week Old - German Shep. Pup - VERY NEEDY - cries

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Love Dogs, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Love Dogs

Love Dogs New Member

We just got a 7 week old German Shepherd male pup - he is very needy. Cries when you leave the room. Either myself or my husband have to be with him at all times so that he does not cry.

Also, if you're in the same room but not within his vision, he will cry. Sometimes he seems cranky and cries.

What should we do to make him less needy? Is this a GSD trait? I don't remember our Eskie being so needy when she was a puppy (she is now almost 3 years old).

Also - crate training not going too well. He cries all night, until he tires himself out, rests (breathing very hard) and continues his crying. The crate is in our bedroom at night so we try to comfort him and when that doesn't work, we say "no". PLEASE any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
    Kate

2. winnie

winnie New Member

7 weeks is super young, he was just taken away from his mom and littermates and is now in this strange place, i would cry too. Give him time, he is just a baby, i dont think you can expect much in the ways of potty training from a 7 week old.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You are giving him attention for crying. That is not going to help.

When you are home, why is the puppy not with you? How can you potty train him if he is in a different room? I would tether him to you or gate him into the room you are in. That way he can play, you two can bond, and you can also watch him for signs of having to go outside.

When you cannot watch him - like you are going to work or you have to go do laundry and the laundry room isn't safe for him or something like that - then crate him. Make sure the crate is big enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lie down - but no bigger than that. Put him in, give him something to occupy himself with, and tell him, "I'll be back!" and leave. Don't make a big deal over it and don't fuss over him. Ignore the crying. Wait for him to be quiet for even a second or two before you let him out. Don't make a big deal out of letting him out either. Let him out and go about your business.

Try feeding him in his crate. Leave the door open until he is comfortable with it being closed. Let him have access to the crate when he does not have to be in it. When he falls asleep, put him in the crate - at first with the door open, but later start to close it.

Toss treats in the crate and use a command like "kennel up" when he goes in it. At first let him come right back out, but then start closing the door while you sit next to him and talk to him and feed him through the bars. Start out only closing the door for a second or two and then gradually increase the time you keep the door closed.

When you have to leave, try leaving the radio or TV on for him. You can also try putting an old t-shirt in his crate that has your scent on it. A ticking clock right outside the crate sometimes helps, too. He is very little. A towel rubbed on his mom and littermates may have been helpful.

At night, you MUST let him out every 3 hours or so to go potty. Make it as unexciting as you can. Just carry him out, let him go, then bring him back. Turn on as few lights as possible and don't play or talk to him (other than to tell him good boy for going potty). You want him to know that getting out at night is ONLY for going potty.

Do NOT reward him for crying!!

4. Love Dogs

Love Dogs New Member

Problem is wimpering/barking - not potty training

Jamiya,

I didn't say we were having problems with potty training. He has not "gone potty" in his crate at night. He seems to be doing fine with potty training - obviously, he's a puppy and it takes time. We take him out about every hour and after every feeding/watering. He is on a strict feeding schedule with no snacks, so that we can regulate his digestion times - potty needs.

The problem is not related to potty training.

The problem is you can't go anywhere, not even to the bathroom without him crying. Maybe this is normal for some puppies. LIke I said, our American Eskimo was not that needy when she was a puppy (she is now 3 years old). I was wondering if this is a German Shepherd trait.

I work outside the home and do not get home until about 7 p.m. My husband is an artist and he needs to paint in his studio, which is part of our home. It is not safe to have the puppy in the studio. He leaves the door open, with a puppy gate at the door, connected to a nice sized safe room, with windows, where the puppy stays with our 3 yr. old female spayed American Eskimo. The problem is the puppy cries and cries.

Should we ignore the crying? Tell him "No"? Or tell him, "It's okay, don't cry". That was the main question - how to deal with his wimpering and barking.

Thanks,
    Kate

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I got my GSD when she was 3 months old (and 7 weeks is terribly young...most states have a law that says puppies/kittens can't be sold or given away until they are 8 weeks old) and she cried some for the first week or so but she'd never been in a house either (BYBer before I knew better).
    I slept with her (she's not allowed on the beds).
    Do you give her a stuff animal to sleep with?
    Doesn't have to be a breed thing, could simply be her personality.
    Maybe you should get her examed by your vet and seek help from that avenue

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi at 7weeks old he should still be with his mother as this is a crutial time for pups as they are learning everything they need to know about being a dog from there mum and litter mates.

He has now mastered if i cry they will come and stay with me, This needs to be stopped now or as he gets older he will suffer from seperation anxiety and this is a problem you do not want to try and fix.

When he cries let him cry do not goto him unless he is crying to go out.
    the more you and your husband goto him when he is crying the more he will do it and will carries this on to adulthood.

During the night give him something old with your scent on e.g an old t-shirt with your perfume on also a clock that has a ticking sound placed under his blankets will give him the feeling of not being alone.

Another way of dealing with the problem is you and your husband leave the room for 10mins then come back in do this a few times a day increasing the length of time your out of the room.

Never make a fuss over him when your leaving, simply say be good and leave do not look back and do not go back while he is crying do not allow him to see you through any doors or windows as this will just defeat the purpose of the training.

Place the crate in a different room during the night if this is becoming a problem as you do not want to get annoyed as he will sence this from you.
    Again do not goto him when he is crying.

You make the rules not the puppy so when he cries ignore him do not even make eye contact he will associate that crying gets him ignored being good gets your attention, Whenever he stops crying after being alone praise him tell him he is a goodboy offer a small treat he will also associate that with being good.

I breed german shepherds and they are quick learners.
    I never allow my litters to leave my home until 8-12 weeks of age usually 12weeks, I never respond to there cries unless it is a cry to go out to potty.

Mike

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I didn't mean to offend or anything with the potty training advice. You never know how much someone knows when they start to post here, so I tend to post blanket replies that will catch other problems that may not have been mentioned.

Mike's info is right on (as usual). The puppy can see your husband where he is working? If so and if it is feasible for your husband, have him go to the pup and treat him whenever he is being quiet. At first he may have to work to find times to treat him, but gradually the pup should catch on.

Do not say "No" or go comfort him. Even negative attention is still attention. Since he is used to getting results from crying, it will probably take a while now for him to stop. I know it's hard to hear him cry and also annoying, but bear with it or it will be even harder to extinguish. Think about it - if after 2 hours of crying you finally go and pay attention to him, he just learned that if he cries long enough you will come and now your job is that much harder.

Give the little guy some time, and good luck!

8. LucyLu

LucyLu New Member

Aw poor baby :cry:
    I think it is normal for a pup to always want to be in your sight. My dog did this somewhat. And she was 12 weeks old. She still pretty much follows us around everywhere, but doesn't cry and can be left alone now. The idea of leaving him for shorts periods of time and then come right back is a good idea.
    Leave the room for 1 min and then come right back in. Then do it for 2 mi, 3 min, 4 min, etc. He will learn you are not going to abandon him.

I could never do the crate thing at night. It absolutely broke my heart when my dog would cry in there at night. So now she sleeps with us and we all love it! :D

Since he is so young and you just got him, is there anyway you can make a small area that is safe place for him to be in your husband's studio? This is great oppurtunity for him to get used to be in your house and feel secure, in my opinion. The first week we had our dog, my husband took off work and stayed with her every day, all day.

Try not to get frustrated, as difficult as it can be. He was just taken away from his Mommy and littermates and is very scared. Hang in there. It's a ton of work having a puppy, but it's worth it!

9. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Ahhh. . . German Shepherds. I used to breed them many years ago, and its true that they are EXTREMELY intelligent. They have so many positive traits. They are completely devoted to their families, and will protect them with their lives. You would have a hard time finding a dog as faithful as a Shepherd. But. . . they can also be a real handful. I remember several of mine that were "needy" like you describe. They can test your nerves to the very limit. I had some, and have known of many who were so upset when left alone that they could be very destructive if not restrained. I can really sympathize with you. I think its because Shepherds are so very sensitive to their environment, their owners' feelings, etc. When you are dealing with a dog that is THIS intelligent, there are bound to be some negatives included. Kind of like a trade-off. German Shepherds are my very favorite breed, and I loved mine so much that I can't even bear to have another one now, because it would hurt too much. So I now have a Boxer, 2 Pugs and a Great Dane. All are special in their own ways, but I have yet to find a breed that can compare to the German Shepherd. I'm sorry I can't give you any advise, except that your dog may always be very sensitive and emotional, but this also indicates a very devoted nature. In the end, I think its worth it. It has been to me.