1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

9 week old puppy with Coccidia

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by qbui, Apr 1, 2009.

1. qbui

qbui New Member

I took my 9 week old puppy to the vet a couple of days ago and the vet said he has an intestinal parasite coccidia. My puppy was prescribed Albon 125mg per day for 22 days. I discussed the treatment with the breeder I bought the puppy from and was told that 22 days is too long to take coccidia. I was told that coccidia is hard on the kidneys. Does anyone have any knowledge of how many days is safe for a puppy to be on Albon. I don't want to under medicate and don't want to over medicate my puppy. Just want to make him better.
    Thank you for any comments.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi from what i have found it varies, some people say no longer then 5 days, some no longer than 12 days and then tehre is some that say 13 weeks is normal.
    So my advice would be to contact a different vet and see what they say..
    please let us know the outcome of your findings.

Mike

3. qbui

qbui New Member

The breeder who I got the puppy from called 2 vets that she goes to and they both said that the recommended dosage is 25mg per pound for the first day and 12.5mg for the next 6 days. Then have the puppy tested a few days after the 7 dosage. If he still have the parastites then to start it up again for 7 more days but wait a week inbetween the first 7 days to give the kidney a chance to rest. Both vet said that if I follow my vet's 22 day and dosage direction, it could cause my puppy to be very sick in the future. I will try to call Pfizer to seek their recommendations.
    Thanks!

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi this is off the website. hope it helps

http://www.pfizerah.com/Product_Overvie ... species=CN

ALBON® TABLETS
    (sulfadimethoxine)
    TabletsDescription

•Canine sulfonamide in tablet dosage form.

•Treats a wide range of respiratory, genitourinary tract, enteric and soft-tissue infections.

•Clinical or experimental efficacy has been demonstrated against infections caused by Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Escherichia, Salmonella, Klebsiella, Proteus, or Shigella organisms sensitive to sulfadimethoxine.
    Approved Uses

ALBON® TABLETS are approved for:
    •Treatment of tonsillitis, pustular dermatitis, pharyngitis, anal gland infections, bronchitis, abscesses, pneumonia, wound infections, cystitis, bacterial enteritis, canine salmonellosis, metritis, bacterial enteritis associated with coccidiosis in dogs, and pyometra caused by Staphylococcus, Escherichia, Salmonella, Klebsiella, Proteus, or Shigella organisms sensitive to sulfadimethoxine.
    Key Features

•Low-dosage, rapidly absorbed, long-acting sulfonamide.

•Effective for a wide range of bacterial infections commonly encountered in dogs.

•Plasma protein binding of sulfadimethoxine is very high, providing a blood reservoir of the drug and maintaining higher blood levels than most other long-acting sulfonamides.

•Single, comparatively low dose gives rapid and sustained therapeutic blood levels.

•Has relatively high solubility at normal kidney pH, precluding possibility of precipitation and crystalluria.

•Oral formulations can be utilized for maintenance therapy.
    Packaging

125 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg tablets.

Dosage and Administration

•For ease of administration in animals of varying weights, 3 tablet sizes (125 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg) are provided.

•Subsequent doses should be given at 24-hour intervals.

•Dogs should receive 25 mg/lb of body weight (55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of body weight every 24 hours thereafter.
    Precautions

•During treatment period, make certain that animals maintain adequate water intake.

•If animals show no improvement within 2 to 3 days, diagnosis should be re-evaluated.

•Store at room temperature.

•Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on order of a licensed veterinarian.

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

A week treatment should be fine. However keep in mind that the ground the puppy is around may be infested with it. I would reccomend keeping him away from any area where he's been sick or had bowl movements.

6. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Here's what I found.
    What is the treatment of coccidiosis?

Fortunately, coccidiosis is treatable. Drugs such as sulfadimethoxine (Albon®) and trimethoprim-sulfadiazine (Tribrissen®) have been effective in the treatment and prevention of coccidia. Because these drugs do not kill the organisms, but rather inhibit their reproduction capabilities, elimination of coccidia from the intestine is not rapid. By stopping the ability of the protozoa to reproduce, time is allowed for the puppy's own immunity to develop and remove the organisms. Drug treatments of one to three weeks are usually required.