1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A gate for my kitties

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by sunset05, Aug 13, 2006.

1. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Since my kitties are not going out anymore, I had an idea to maybe get a gate that would fit in my garage door opening and have the garage door come down to the top of it.

I've looked on the internet a little and haven't found any gates that are that wide. The opening is probably around 108 inches wide.

Does anyone know where I could get a gate that would fit a large opening. Have you done anything like that?

I thought it would be a nice way to let my kitties be exposed to the outdoors but in a safe way. Thanks.

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. You could use baby gates/pet gates, but you'll end up spending quite a bit of money on all the additional attachments, as most of them do not cover such a large area on their own. You may have to get creative, unless someone else has a brilliant idea. :D

3. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I have a long gate for the dogs...I think it's about 6 feet long. I ordered it from somewhere. If you think that'll work, I'll try to remember.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

how about a couple of wooden screened doors. You could attach them together with straight brackets.
    Lowe's has them on sale for $20.

5. vene

vene New Member

I saw a play yard on ebay with a Eaton, PA pickup only for $4.99 but it's 4 days away. Sometimes Craigslist in your area or the freecycle sites may have them as well.

6. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Good ideas here.

coppersmom - If you can remember where you got the long gate, that would be great. Don't worry if you can't, though. Six feet is going to be too short. :)

mary_NH - I never thought about using screen doors. That is a thought. I'll look into that. :)

vene - I saw the one on ebay you told me about and it looks like Mittens could get through it. I hadn't thought of freecycle. I'll check that out, too. :)

7. vene

vene New Member

Sorry.:oops: Try looking up superyard (one word) on ebay. They have some good looking and inexpensive pet yards that might work. :mrgreen:

8. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I did look up superyard and that was a great possibility. I started looking for pet and baby pens and I ended up finding a metal pet pen at Petco.
    It works great. I doubled it in half and it fits nicely into the garage door.

I tried on Socks and Mittens and at first that didn't know what to make of it but then seemed to enjoy looking outside for a little.

It is a slight hastle setting it up but I can work with that.

What I don't do for my kitties. :mrgreen:

9. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm glad you found something so quickly. :D

10. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Here is a picture of it. I don't know how clear it will look.
    [​IMG]

11. vene

vene New Member

Great idea, lucky kitties. But it does look like one giant sized cage, lol. :mrgreen: Socks and Mittens are very spoiled. :eek:

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you have a yard, you could get an outside dog kennel (covered, of course) and fashion an entrance from the house into it. Here is a link to a friend's site who has made a "catio" like this for her cats: http://www.kitsnk9s.com/Catio.htm.

Have you made sure your kitties can't accidentally bump the gate too hard and have the garage door come crashing down?

13. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

That was a pretty neat site, Jamiya. Unfortunately I don't have a window that I could easily do that. Great idea, though.

I did worry about the garage door coming down if the gate got pushed out. My gate on the garage door is tied to the rails on both sides and also I have a stake propped up on the one side against part of the garage door on the one side. Hubby and I took out the gate with the stake still in place and it held the garage door up.

I mostly wanted to do this because Socks is chubby and can't jump or sit on the window sills to look out but she doesn't seem too interested in going down in the garage. The one time I got her to, she stayed back away from the gate. Maybe I worry about my cats too much.

14. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Oh wow! That's awesome! My cats would LOVE that. Sabrina loves to sniff out open windows but never tries to go out open doors.

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL - no such thing. :)

16. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Thanks Jamiya.

They are getting used to the gate now and like it. I have an empty flower pot with just dirt in it outside that now has crab grass growing in it so I bring it into the garage and the kitties love to gnaw on it.

Socks and especially Mittens keep wanting to go into the garage but the gate is not always up. I think they are disappointed but I can't have it up all the time. They like sniffing the outside air and looking out. I put it up when I'm not planning to go anywhere for awhile. :)

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I keep thinking about building a catio-type thing for my cat. I can't let her into the garage - too much dangerous stuff in ours for a kitty.