1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A little companion for Kitty!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by wildflower_131, Oct 4, 2005.

1. wildflower_131

wildflower_131 New Member

Hi everyone!

I will soon be having a new addition to my family! :D

I am off to the animal shelter on Saturday to see what kittens and cats they have there, and am going to adopt one.

I am leaning towards getting a kitten since Kitty is 1 year old.

I am also leaning towards a female kitten/cat.

In your experience, which sex, male or female, would most likely get on with an older female cat? :?:

2. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Congrats! I seem to recall reading that it's best to introduce a male to a female, and vice-versa. She may consider another female to be competition. Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of your new arrival!

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Oh a new kitty in the family. How exciting. Best of luck.

I agree with lunaguy about a male with a female and visa versa. I have also heard that an adult cat will accept a kitten better than another adult cat.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new kitty after you get it. :)

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In my experience, it really just depends on the temperment of the individual cat.

We had Lizzy, Emily, & Jupiter (all adult females) when we introduced Tennessee (female kitten). They all hated her.

When we introduced Romeo (1 year old male), Emily & Jupiter hated him, but Tennessee and he bacame best buds from the start.

We recently introduced Scout (female kitten) and she & Tennessee took to eachother immediately. Romeo & Emily hated her for the first 2 days, but after a couple more days, they're all getting along pretty well.

And with my brother, he has 2 adult male cats. He introduced Jupiter. One of the males wants to be her best friend and the other hated her but is now terrified of her (not sure what she did to him :? ). She doesn't really like either of them, but she's slightly more tollerant of the one that wants to be her friend.

-Chelle

5. vene

vene New Member

Pumpkin my older kitty never liked any new kitties introduced into the family be they boys or girls. Eventually, she tolerated them all. I agree with T_chelle. It really depends on the cat's temperament. Have fun adopting the newbie!

6. nern

nern New Member

In general, its recommended to get a cat of the opposite sex. I agree with the others that it really depends on the individual cat. I have 5 males and 2 females that all get along great. Good luck!

7. wildflower_131

well no new companion for Kitty. The local RSPCA said they had heaps of kittens on their website, but when we got there on saturday there was only one kitten... :( Will keep ringing them though....

8. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Don't be dissappointed, the right kitty will pick you when they know it's right.

I went into our shelter with my eye on a kitten that I saw on their website (an adorable little orange long hair). When I got there (being a cat lover all my life), I wanted to hold and cuddle with all the cats and kittens they had there. When I picked up Booger, she immediately took to me, she was playing with the buttons on my shirt and licking my face and snuggling against me. It was beyond cute. I put Booger back in her cage and moved on to another cat and Booger was crying and pawing at her cage everytime I went near. So I picked her up again and I know I was toast. She had picked me rather than me picking a kitty LOL

9. wildflower_131

Oh, I'm not that sad. I was just expecting to see more kittens.
    I know that will probably happen. I didn't pick Kitty when she came into my life. my friend rescued her and asked if i wanted a kitten. All she told me was that she was black and white and fluffy and maybe a female. I had no idea what she looked like and I said i'd take her. She's the cutest little cat. She's still quite small for her age... but she has stolen my heart! She's my little girl! hehe :kiss_heart:

And its her birthday today!! (well the estimated birthday!) Happy Birthday Kitty!! :0018:

10. vene

vene New Member

Happy B-day Kitty! :eek: :m10:

11. wildflower_131

This is looking to be Kitty's little companion... A friend of mine said her sister's boyfriend's sister-in-law's (Get that??) cat had kittens and is giving them away instead of selling them or taking them to the shelter. She is NOW getting the mother desexed. They were going to get mother cat desexed, but put it off! So here is the little one i have chosen. There were two black kittens, a black and white one, and two tabbies. The other tabby had more white on it's face. Not sure of the sex yet as they are only 5 weeks old!

[​IMG]

12. halaroo

halaroo New Member

So cute!

13. nern

nern New Member

How cute! Congrats! :D

14. Bente

Bente New Member

awww, adorable! :D

15. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

congrats
    what a sweet little face

16. vene

vene New Member

Congrats! What a cutie pie. When do you pick up the little one?

17. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

What an adorable little kitten. Best of luck with it. Let us know what you name him or her. :)

18. wildflower_131

I pick it up in two weeks! no names chosen yet! Will let you all know though!

19. Maraya

Maraya New Member

Too precious.......one of god's little angels.

20. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

So cute!!! Good luck with your new addition, and be sure to post more pics when he/she arrives home.