1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A problem with my Doberman

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Nikkita's Mom, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Nikkita's Mom

Nikkita's Mom New Member

I am new to this forum, so first let me say, hello to everyone!! I really need help from anyone that can give me any advice that they can. I have a 3 month old Doberman named Nikkita. She has this problem of pooping on my couch. It is a new couch, so no other dog has messed on it. I put her out first thing in the morning and she does all her business and when I let her back in, within 30 minutes she will poop on the couch. I try to catch her, but it's like she does it when she knows I'm not looking. I give her alot of attention and she knows to go outside when she needs to go, I put her out quite often. I don't know why she does this or what I'm doing wrong. Anyone that can help me, I would really appreciate it. :y_the_best:

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

hi and welcome, is it a new couch that you just got? Wondering if there is a smell like maybe a scotchguard treatment that she is attracted to. This one I dont know anything about, hopefully someone can chime in

honeybear

3. Nikkita's Mom

Nikkita's Mom New Member

Thank you Honeybears, I appreciate it anyway. I have never come across this kind of problem, so I don't know why she does this.

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Thats possible honey, Try using some natures miracle to abliterate any smell on it. also this dog has not yet earned to right to be left alone as of yet. Not trustable. Try keeping him in an x-pen when you can't be there to watch. Some dogs will also pee or poop on something of yours if they get mad or are not getting the attention they feel they deserve. also, if they don't like a particular person in the household and will pee or poop on the spot that person likes to sit or sleep.

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Definatly get some Natures Miracle and get the smell out of your couch. You may not be able to smell it, but she can.

Next. Keep her off the furniture. They have some "OFF" pads that deter the dogs and cats from getting on them. Dr. Forester and Smith has some, and Valley Vet supply.

6. Nikkita's Mom

Nikkita's Mom New Member

Thank you all very much, I appreciate the advice. Puttin510, that makes sense to me about not liking or mad at the one that sits or sleeps on the couch, since my husband is the one that tries to throw pillows at her when she is acting up. He spends alot of time on the couch, so that could be a possiblity. I give Nikkita ALOT of attention, my husband does not, so there could be a truth to that. I will try that Nature's Miracle as soon as possible. Samsintention, I will also start training her to stay off the furniture, that might be a solution too. Thank you again.

7. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Welcome aboard! Are you crate training her? We have a German Shepherd pup and we had a couple poo poo issues as well in the beginning. Same scene as yours with the go outside do his thing come back in and poo on the floor. So we started by bringing him back in from outside and if we were not able to WATCH him solid for about 45 minutes, we put him in his cage or tethered him in the room we were in so he was not out of our sight. That solved the "catching him in the act" issue which is essential to training her not to go inside. They are just like a 3 month baby right now. They cannot be out of your sight until they are trained. Kind of a pain, but worth saving the furniture and your Olfactory glands!

8. Nikkita's Mom

Nikkita's Mom New Member

Hi Sarge's mom, thank you and yes we have a crate for her. She knows when we leave & bedtime, that is where she goes. I will try that also. She never messes on the floor anymore, she has been training very well. Faster than I expected, until the couch problem. This has just recently started, I guess that is why I'm so confused of why on the couch!! :? I'm to the point to where I will try anything!!

9. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Something to keep inmind with breeds like the Dobe and G. Shepherd is that they are dominant dog and so smart, too smart really, that they will try to gain control away from you. Usually in the form of displeasing you in some way (also usually smelly!) By crating her for the period she usually pulls this neat little trick or tethering her with you, you are showing her that you are the one in control. Make sense?

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I second everyone else's suggestions. Keep her crated or tethered to you so she doesn't have a chance to misbehave and clean the couch with Nature's Miracle. It could be the smell of the new couch - I have heard of dogs having accidents on new carpet a lot.

Jamiya

11. Nikkita's Mom

Nikkita's Mom New Member

Yes that makes sense! She is a very smart dobe!! I will definitely try that. Thanks again. I am going today and buy some of that nature's miracle and try that too. I will keep you all posted on how it all works out. I hope to become a regular here and get to know all of you! Thank you all again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated! :D :y_the_best:

12. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Good luck! Be sure and do let us know.

13. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Now your hubby might be annoyed that he might loose his favorite seat till it dries. If your has pee'd on it you have to soak it all the way thru as much as the pee may have soak iin it. If just poo maybe you can get away with just spraying it in. You may as well go ahead and buy the one gallon bottle instead of the little one. But it has to soak in a dry. No wiping it up after you spray.