1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

a question about my fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by eman, Apr 3, 2008.

1. eman

eman New Member

What does it mean when a betta goes around and around flaring at and chasing its tail? is that something bettas do? My betta, Leo, did that this morning. I thought that was strange :? ...any ideas to why he would do that?
    I have had him for few months now. He lives in a 2.5 gallon bowl. I change 100% of the water every 4 days and the water temperature is 28c (82.4 F)

thanks

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Eman,
    Good luck getting any responses here.... I've tried myself....
    I think that it is just a Betta thing I've had them in the past and mine would do that too. Sometimes I think that they see their reflection in the plastic/glass and think that there is another male in the tank.
    Good luck.

3. eman

eman New Member

thanks for replying :) it was my first time seeing him do it. He was chasing his tail the way a dog or a cat does. I ran to get my camera but by the time I started filming he had slowed down a bit.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=i7JR9IMWd2E

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

eman what a beautiful Betta!!! I don't think that you should worry all of his fins are intact and since they are soo long he may be "catching" a end of a fin and thinking that there is another male in the tank..... that may be chasing him.....
    again beautiful colors!!!

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Leo looks exactly like my late Betta DV.

His tail chasing looks like classic betta flaring to me, males do it as an act of intimidation towards one another as it makes them look larger than they really are.

Your bowl looks like glass (correct me if I'm wrong) and he is probably just seeing his reflection thinking it is another male.

6. eman

eman New Member

yes it is a glass bowl. What can I do to prevent him from seeing his reflection? any ideas?

thanks

7. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

not really much I don't think other than put some plants but there isn't alot of space to begin with... If it was a square tank you could put that plastic decorative background of plants and underwater scenery on a couple of the sides. That also acts as a "cover" for the fish and helps them relax.