1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

a question on cockatiel.....!!!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by soldier4jesus2099, Nov 23, 2005.

1. soldier4jesus2099

soldier4jesus2099 New Member

i hav a pair of budgies nd i wanted to get me a cockatiel.... would i b able to keep a cockatiel wit my budgies ????

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi yes you can. but if the budgies are male and female i would say no as budgies are very aggressive birds when wanting to breed and i know this may sound silly but they will attack and hurt the cockatiel.

I would suggest putting the cockatiel in a cage of its own but place the cage near the budgies so they can see each other.

Mike

3. zarate

zarate New Member

I was also wondering about putting cockatiels n' budgies together. I have a male budgie that I've had for quite some time (2+ years) and he's extremely friendly to all the previous birds I've housed him with (finches and other budgies) I have had these 2 birds out running around together and they do fine. The cockatiel doesn't want much to do with my budgie, but the budgie is determined to make friends. I know they would get along fine, but the only thing holding me back is that I don't wanna lose my "connection" with my cockatiel. So, my real question is....what are the chances of my cockatiel not bonding to my budgie if I house them together? I don't "handle" my budgie anymore as I feel he's happier just to walk around the house and try to get into things, or pester the cat. My cockatiel begs for me to let her out of her cage. I used to think she was nervous about something because she would run from one end of her cage to the other....but only if she could see someone, then once you let her out she jumps up on your shoulder and preens herself and is calm as can be. She doesn't pace like that when nobody is around, so I figured that is what she was doing, begging! Thanks!
    -mandi

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

The problem with putting birds together as they may bond together and would prefer to spend time with each other rather than there owner.

you never actually know if this is going to happen until they are housed together for a week or two.

My hand raised cockatiel still comes and sits with me even though she is cage with other cockatiels.
    I would say aslong as you keep handling the cockatiel everyday and allow her to come and sit with you as usual then i dont think there would be an issue or problem.

Budgies can be house with any bird aslong as the budgie is not a breeding pair as this is when things get ugly and fights break out usually resulting in the other bird being seriously hurt from the budgies.

People think that because budgies are small if you house them with larger birds then they will not be bullies but this is not true a breeding pair of budgies will even attack a large parrot.

Mike
    Mike