1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A tragic, immoral story

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DogLover, Jul 13, 2004.

1. DogLover

DogLover New Member

I just received the pedigree copy from the seller this evening. I almost fainted after I went over the detail. Before I purchase the puppy from this seller, of course, I did ask a lot of questions about the puppy and the parents. The seller claimed that both the sire and the bitch were 3-year old now. However, the pedigree showed that the bitch is just ONE YEAR old (born on 3/28/2003). My puppy was born on 4/7/2004. The bitch was pregnant when she was still a baby herself.

I hate myself for paying the immoral breeder. However, I feel good that the puppy is going to live a happy, healthy life with me.
    Stll, the poor bitch...sigh.

I'm not going to provide this person's name and location. But, if anyone of you is looking or will be looking for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, send me private message, and I'll let you know FROM WHOM YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY A PUPPY.

2. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

was there any kind of contract you signed before you got the pedigree? if so it might have something stating that the dogs are at least 2 years old. in which case you could take legal action. if not ther eisnt much you can do. im sorry you got conned by this person. i too got conned with my dog and ive been spreading the word about it too.

3. asdmom

asdmom New Member

what a shame. sorry for the deception. is your cavalier at least free from the heart problems so prevalent in this breed? if so that could be a bright sign. at least your pup is in good hands now and that is important.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Yet agian, another immoral moron claiming to be a breeder. In the end the new owners, and the dogs suffer. I don't understand why people can't treat their animals fairly. And do what they are supposed to do!!!! I would definately voice your concerns to the so called "breeder" and let them know that you are not happy with them lying to you, and I would let everyone else who is buying a puppy from them know also!

5. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Thanks for everyone's concern

Thanks, people. There's no contract but the health guarantee from the breeder. I had the vet check Chobby (my pup's name) several times, and his heart sounds fine at this point. But, we never know if it's going to be the same within the next 3 years.

Even though the breeder offers health guarantee, would I return my pup back to her? Even now, I notice that Chobby's legs are not very strong, and I believe it's something called luxating patella. I am feeding him quality dog food, maintaining his exercise level and trying to make him happy. I hope my effort will help his well being. Although a dog's health has a lot to do with the genetic factors, I can't give up hopes.

I did try to get hold with the breeder (right, so called breeder), but she never replied my email or call me back. Sigh...what an immoral XXXXX Wish I can sue her though.

Every Tuesday, I'm taking Chobby to attend puppy school. Today, he had a great one and made a new friend. And I felt the warmth at the bottom of my heart. It's always good to know that he's living a happy life now.

6. Jules

Jules New Member

A woman came up to me when I was on holidays and told me about a dog she bought from a breeder. The dog was to be a show dog and she spent alot of money on it (which doesn't really matter once you have fallen in love with it), and she took it to the vets and found it had a heart problem, and not only this, it was hereditary, and a kind of problem that the WHOLE litter would have had, according to the vet. She contacted the breeder to let him know her disgust, but the breeder didn't care. She tried to get authorities to do something about him, but there was no organisation that had the power to do anything. You can get away with murder when you breed dogs, literally. When will people stop taking advantage of animals for their own benefit?
    There should be someone that is able to regulate this kind of stuff.

It sounds like your pup has a wonderful home :love_y_t_much:

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I hate those health guarantees. They give them like it's supposed to help. "If this puppy has a genetic defect, we will replace it." Ummmm. I would NEVER give a puppy back because it had problems. How about, "If this pup has a genetic defect, we will refund your purchase price and pay your vet bills and give you some extra money for the heartbreak of caring for a sick dog." Now THAT'S more like it. :|

Jamiya

8. Samsintentions

My puppy contracts state plainly. IF ANY PROBLEM ARISES FROM A GENETIC HEALTH OR PHYSICAL DEFORMITY WE WILL GLADLY TAKE THE PUPPY BACK, AND REFUND THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PUPPY, OR EXCHANGE FOR ANOTHER PUPPY FROM A DIFFRENT LITTER! ( meaning we will find another breeder and get a puppy for them.)

I've never had a problem. And you know why. I DO ALL THE NECESSARY TESTING!!!! DUH :0010:

When people finally start learning, and caring about half the s#!t they do, this world just might begin to become a better place.

I came across a so called "breeder" one time. She was breeding Dashounds. I was looking for one for my grand parents. I asked all the necessary questions. All the testing that had been done on the parents, pedigree's ect.... The lady just looked at me with a blank stare. SHe then had the nerve to ask me what a pedigree was!!!
    I wasn't rude or anything (at least I didn't think I was) I just calmly told her" what are you doing breeding, if you have no clue as to anything I just asked you". She said she didn't think it was that hard to have puppies. I just about died!

So I convinced her to read, take some classes, and quit breeding until she was FULLY educated on EVERYTHING! She still has her male and female but neutered and spayed both.

So most people wouldn't have reacted like she did. They would have given some smart a$$ answer, and threw me out. But with a little kindness and some information. It can go along way!
    Plus a little concence on their end.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My son has a friend at school that annoys the heck out of me. He came to our house to play - once. Besides being an annoying kid who felt it was okay to ignore what I said if he didn't agree with it, he happened to mention that his mother wanted to breed their two dachshunds, "To make some extra money." He actually said that! My kids saw my eyes narrow and I swear they started to slowly back away. I didn't say anything to him, but when my son told me later that apparently their male has no idea what to do so the female wasn't getting pregnant, I was glad! My kids did hear the, "We don't breed for money" lecture after this kid left.

He has never come over again. Thankfully my son decided he wasn't such a good friend after all. They get along fine in school, but he has never asked to play with him again.

This kid....I couldn't believe it. I told him to call his dad and find out if he was coming to get him, since he was later than he said he would be. The kid told me he wasn't going to call because his family wasn't really big on schedules or specific times for things. :shock: We aren't either, but what does that have to do with anything?! If a parent told one of my kids to call home, darn tootin' that child will say, "Okay" and call home! I told the kid THREE TIMES in a row to call home and he REFUSED! My son was staring at me with big eyes. My husband came home to see the steam coming out of my ears.

I don't like that child. :)

Jamiya

10. DogLover

DogLover New Member

I definitely agree with you guys. Before I purchased the puppy, I thought the health guarantee is something that protects the buyer from getting a sick puppy. But, it's impossible for the buyer to let the puppy go once a relationship is developed. Who knows if the returned puppy will end up in animal shelter or animal testing lab! If the breeder keeps the sick puppy, he/she will probably let the sick dog reproduce more sick ones.

I wonder if there's any web site that allows pet owners to complaint about any specific seller/breeder. It can certainly help potential puppy buyers making a wise choice and avoid those horrible breeders.

Talking about animal control in the humane society. I believe the first step should point to those bad breeders, who breed for the $$$. If the bad breeders can be eliminated from the society, the homeless animal population would reduce significantly. Do you agree?

Jamiya, you did a wonderful job to educate your boy about breeding. And, I am really happy for you and him that he now knows how to differentiate between a good and a bad friend.

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I know we've discussed this here before. I personally am in favor of having a licensing procedure for breeders. It should be expensive and require a certain amount of education and even continuing education. There should be facility inspections and minimum requirements for puppy contracts and health testing.

I know it would be expensive to administrate, but a license fee would help offset the cost.

Of course, I'm not a breeder so perhaps they have a different take on things.

Jamiya

12. Samsintentions

OH I agree! I wouldn't mind paying the licencing and doing all that. As a matter of fact, I'd like to be the ones doing the inspections and routine checks!

13. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I agree with you all the way Jamiya. I think there should be a law about breeding dogs after a certain age, like there is for cows. I mean if people are stupid enough to make a law saying it is illegal for a murderer to wear a bullet proof vest leading up to, during, or after the murder, then they should be smart enough to make a law about this particular subject. Do you think you could call it animal cruelty???? it could be something to look into. I know there is a law that heifers have to be 2 years of age before they may becomes pregnant. oh what to do with stupid, irresponsible, cruel people? I know! lets put them on mars and they can be stupid, irresponsible, and cruel to each other. :x

14. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Hi there,
    It really ruined my day when I saw the same "breeder" selling Cavalier puppy on www.puppyfind.com.

I sent an email to the Customer Service at puppyfind.com, hoping if they could stop the person to advertise on their site. Well, nobody ever responded my inquiry. Guess they don't care either.

I am going to call the Human Society and the Animal Control in South Dakota tomorrow. Even though I doubt they can do anything, it still doesn't hurt to try. I hope someone can prohibit that breeder from breeding "immorally" again.

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Would you trust ANYONE who advertises on puppyfind.com?! Can one of our breeders please comment on advertising like this and whether or not they are ALL puppy mills and BYB's, in your opinion?

Jamiya

16. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I'm not a breeder, but in my opinion, if these so called "breeders" can't sell the puppies in their home towns and have to resort to the internet, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong. Chances are the people in their town know about it and won't do anything about it but force the "breeder" to sell the puppies to unsuspecting doglovers on the internet. [-(

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Most real breeders I know never advertise and have waiting lists for their puppies.

Jamiya

18. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

yeah, that does make sence! anyhoo who would want to get rid of puppies. lol. jk.

19. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Sigh, I had no experience with finding a dog breeder. All my life I had adopted homeless dogs. It was my first time to actually "purchase" one. Never thought a breeder would lie.

Sorry for bring up the same topic over again. I joined the forum several days ago and didn't have the chance to read all the old topics yet.

Well, at least the puppy is doing better and better everyday. That's the biggest gain to me. Hehe...he's dreaming, making funny sounds as I'm writing.

Thanks for all your inputs!!!

20. Jas

Jas New Member

Here Here! I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!