1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A trip to the Vet

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Dec 27, 2008.

1. vene

vene New Member

Monty wasn't eating or drinking much last night so I brought him to the vet this morning. I knew something was seriously wrong when he turned down canned tuna, his Christmas treat. They diagnosed him with bloody urine, UTI, and he tested positive for crystals but is not blocked. They won't give him any meds until we get back his blood test results tomorrow. My poor little boy was so happy to be back home. They kept him for observation for 5 hours. Then they gave him a food stimulant and he's eating again. The little guy has lost 3.5 pounds since his last visit so it's a huge concern. Hopefully all the tests will come back normal. He did have a cold last week and that may explain his weight loss but we won't know for sure until the results get back.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Poor guy! My thoughts are with, hoping he's back to normal soon.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

awww poor monty and you!! I hope that he is back to himself soon.

4. vene

vene New Member

Thank you both for the well wishes. Monty is eating and drinking and he looks so much better. His BUN is elevated and his Creatinine is normal high. His vet thinks he either has an UTI or has the beginnings of renal problems. Right now he's going to be on anitbiotics for 2 weeks. We don't know at this point whether it's the UTI causing him kidney problems or some other condition like renal disease causing inflammation of his kidneys. So it's wait and see if he gets better or not.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

positive healing thoughts sent to Monty

6. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Poor Monty. I hope everything will be okay. You are taking good care of him.

My daughter's kitty has had the crystal problems with her one kitty and Cloe has been doing well. She has had urinary problems since she was a kitten but they are able to keep it under control. Cloe is probably about 10 years old now.

7. vene

vene New Member

Thank you Mary and Sunset. Monty is doing remarkably well. He is back to normal and still eating lots. Even Milo is loving his new food.

What type of foods, suppliments, or meds is Chloe on?

8. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

vene - Cloe has had to be on antibiotics occasionally, and I also think she is supposed to be on a special food, but I can't remember what it is. I'll have to ask my daughter.

I know my daughter was having problems keeping Cloe's food separate form her other kitties. I'll let you know when I find out.

I'm really glad Monty is doing well now.

9. vene

vene New Member

Monty had a relapse so he's back at the vet. They are taking x-rays and repeating the creatinine and BUN for comparison. They palpated a mass where his left kidney should be. It's twice the size of a normal kitty kidney... If his left kidney is obstructed, maybe they can put a stent in.

10. Bente

Bente New Member

Poor Monty :cry: Best wishes to you all *big hugs!*

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Aww Vene!! Poor you and poor Monty!!! sorry to hear he had a relapse, I hope that they find out what is wrong and he makes a full and speedy recovery!!!
    Hang in there...
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

12. vene

vene New Member

Thank you Bente and HDrydr. The prognosis isn't good for Monty. Both kidneys are not doing well. They can't put a stent in because the ureters in cats are too small for the procedure. We are making him as comfortable as we can at home until he lets us know it's time. He was enjoying himself this morning taking over Milo's food. He's never done that before. And Milo didn't even mind. I want Monty's last days to be happy ones.

13. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Aww Vene I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping for a better prognosis for Monty and for you!!!! :cry: Enjoy him while you are able and know that you have done everything that you can do for him. I'm happy to hear that he is at least comfortable right now. He'll let you know. :cry: Know that we are all here for you!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's to Monty and to enjoying the remainder of his time with you and Milo!!
    Sorry Vene that's news you never want to hear about your fur baby!!!!!

{{{{HUGS!!!!}}}}}}

14. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm so sorry! I know he'll be comfortable and loved for the rest of his days. Big hugs to you and your family.

15. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Oh no, I'm so sorry vene. Prayers coming your way.

16. vene

vene New Member

Thank you everyone. Monty continues to eat well although he refuses to eat the vitamin fortified kidney health foods that I bought for him. As long as he's eating, he'll thrive and gain some weight back. The vet thinks he's at death's door but he's doing pretty well considering. He wakes us up every 2 hours at night wanting to be carried up or down the stairs and that's fine. I'd rather have him verbalize his needs than none at all.

17. Bente

Bente New Member

Oh, I'm so, so sorry! :cry: I'm glad to hear he is doing so good, considering his situation. Best of luck to you all *big hugs!*

18. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Aww vene hang in there and I hope that he continues to eat..... Your such a good fur parent!!!!! I know how you feel
    {{{HUGS}}}}}

19. Lovemykitties!

Lovemykitties! New Member

I am so sorry vene!! My prayers are with you and Monty.

20. vene

vene New Member

Monty is not crying as much anymore. He is steadily gaining weight and getting used to being blind. He didn't use his litter box for a couple of days so it must be around somewhere. We decided to contain him to the bathroom until he does his business. Thanks everyone for the prayers and support. He's really doing very well.