1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A warning from Patches

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Patches, May 31, 2004.

1. Patches

Patches New Member

Hello to all,

A while ago I asked you for info on COPD in dogs and several responded.

I now have some information you need to be aware of. Fortunately, because my son saw this from a woman on the Internet, Patches is ok now.

Here goes:

I was about to get the Heartworm injection for Patches when my son told me a woman had posted a warning that it had killed her dog. I went to Heartgard.com and read their info. This led me to cancel Patches appt. and return to giving her the Heartgard pills (actually, half a pill, like I have been doing for the past 14 years.) Heartgard info said on a small percentage of dogs, a cough and benign granuloma can develope and can in geriatic dogs be a problem. Well, guess what---my vet had diagnosed her with COPD and said the syst she had on her side was benign. This lump was about the size of a dime.

Patches cough has now cleared up (no cough syrup necessary). The lump has disappeared.

She may have COPD, but this shot would have either made her very sick or killed her. Or she never had COPD (it was the injection side effects).

Most all of you have young dogs--mine is 15. She has no problem w/the pill. I'm glad I found this out before I might have seriously hurt her.

Just keep it in mind --could be little dogs are more suseptible. Patches had 2 of these injections and almost a third.

Happy ending--she is doing well.

Just a warning for you who have little dogs. Read the info for yourself on the website. It's a good product and beneficial, but as with all medications, be aware of side effects.

Bye for now to you and all the wonderful little doggies out there!

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

WOW! Thattttttt is scary!! :(
    Thanks for the info and the update and I'm sooooo happy that Patches is doing better!!! Hugs to Mommy and Patches :love_y_t_much:

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

EEEEEEK, that is indeed scary...I had never heard of that!!! :shock:

Glad Patches is okay, and that you found out about the problem! :y_the_best:

I highly recommend the monthly Heartgard chewables, they work really well, and dogs LOVE them!!! :D