1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

About Cleaning Filters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by -={Nexus}=-, Oct 14, 2004.

1. -={Nexus}=-

-={Nexus}=- New Member

so i'm currently working with zebra and goldfish in my 10 gallon tank with an aqua clear mini..

and i've never actually known the truth.

when cleaning the filter.... should i NOT be making sure all the gunk is out of the sponge thing? i was told by one of my other fish keepign friends that that is where all the bacteria reside and by cleaning out all the junk you are getting rid of all the helpful bacteria.... he told me to only slightly rinse it so as to leave some goop in it...

thnx in advance,

Daniel

2. jeff9373

jeff9373 New Member

you should clean it in water you took out of the tank like in a bucket if you use tap water the chemicals in the water will also kill all good bacteria I just take it and put it in a bucket of tank water and kinda wipe it off as good as possible

3. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

I agree with Jeff, Nexus. The beneficial bacterial lives on the filter. Just rinse it out in tank water gently and put it back.

4. -={Nexus}=-

-={Nexus}=- New Member

awesome..

thnx for the replies guys.

just out of curiousity... how long does it take for the bacteria to get themselves established in the tank?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It depends on a lot of factors like size tank, temperature, filtration etc, but I believe a non-seeded 55 gallon should take about 6 weeks to cycle using the fishless method.

-Chelle

6. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

Absolutely agree.

[​IMG]