1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ack - suddenly kicking up a fuss in crate!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MicroMuttMom, Jun 25, 2004.

1. MicroMuttMom

MicroMuttMom New Member

Hi all,

Our little Stella is almost 41/2 months old now (we got her at 71/2 weeks) and she's mostly a dream puppy -- very affectionate & outgoing, litter training coming along (occasional "whoops" notwithstanding), and quiet.

Well, two nights ago, out of the blue she starts kicking up a fuss in her crate at bedtime, whereas she's always gone into it and settled down right away before. Last night we took her for a walk later in the evening to tire her out more, but same thing - once she's in the crate (a pretty cushy affair, btw - comfy bed, toys, etc) she starts jumping around, whining, growling, and yes - even barking. She keeps this up off and on all night. Finally, about 5 a.m. today, I waited until she wasn't vocalizing any more (still tearing around though) and let her out. Desperate for sleep, I went back to bed not much caring what she chewed and where she pottied. Turns out she settled on the rug by my side of the bed and crashed out too - no misbehavior.

Should I consider leaving the crate door open during the night and just take my chances? How old were your puppies when you stopped confining them for the night?

Any advice is much appreciated -- I'm ugly when it comes to sleep deprivation! :x

2. nern

nern New Member

I did'nt use a crate but I confined Natalie to the kitchen until she was fully housetrained and had lost her baby teeth so that I could trust her not to chew everything in sight. She was about 6 months old when I stopped confining her.
    I would'nt let her have too much freedom until she is at least fully potty trained. Maybe you can confine her to the room her crate is in and leave the crate door open?

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Completely agree...I would give it a try!!! :y_the_best:

:D

4. MicroMuttMom

MicroMuttMom New Member

Finally, a good night's sleep for all concerned! :D

Thanks for the advice. I agree about not giving too much freedom too soon, but unfortunately closing the bedroom door isn't an option because our two cats (who have seniority, after all) need access to both our bed and their litter box down the hall.

The good news is, we left the crate open and Stella slept in it all night - not a peep out of her. I think (knocking on wood) we're gonna be okay!

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: FANTASTIC!!! :eek:

Let's hope for continued success (and peaceful nights)!!! :D