1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

ADDON TO PLEASE HELP~!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by mlee39, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mlee39

mlee39 New Member

WOW, from some of the posts here I think I need to say that I will have the funds this week to have her taken care of. I will however, have to make a decision about the care when the vets office gives me an estimate of what it is going to cost. That may sound harsh but life is what it is and it is darn hard right now. The reason I am posting here is to see if others have had this problem and can give me some insight. We have a full grown Japanese Bobtail who is neutered and well taken care of as is our Tibetan Spaniel dog. We did not plan on this kitten. Someone was leaving her all alone at a local Walmart. Seems this is becoming more and more common at the Walmarts here in the U.S. I couldn't leave her to the elements or a certain death so I took her in. This problem has only been around for about 5 days. We believe she simply got slowly impacted. Could be a ringworm definitely. Could be something worse. I am only looking for advice, not someone to get mad at me. If I can get her nursed back to a normal bowel movement then I will still take her in at 2 months for her shots. If I cannot then, as I stated in the first post, I may have to relinquish her to the local shelter.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me some positive feedback.

2. nern

nern New Member

How long has she been like this? Is it possible that she might have eaten part of a toy or string or anything like that which could be causing a blockage? Since the enema did not work I think you may really need to see a vet.

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Well...as you were semi-referring to me and my posts, I will respond. It costs approx $30-40 to go to the vet. Not cheap but jesus, its only $30. The kitten could be in pain (cats don't always express pain very well so you may not realize it) and someone complains about spending $30 to try to alleviate that pain. That is ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyways, as to your problem, if it is impaction, that could get very serious if it is not dealt with soon. I know for dogs you can feed them pumpkin as a laxative although I'm not sure if this would work with cats. But you shouldn't just wait. Spend the $30 and just get it over with. If the vet says it will be several hundred dollars to fix the kitten, then put her in a shelter and let them deal with her if you are not willing to pay for it. There could be something simple and cheap the vet could do. Why wait and potentially make the situation worse over $30?

4. mlee39

mlee39 New Member

Hi all. Well, it must be nice to live somewhere where the vet costs $30 but here in New Mexico it costs a whopping $70 just for the exam. Then if they give her ANYTHING for worms or ANYTHING it takes it up to $150-$170. So, yes, $30 is a great price, but it's not the price in my state. I am taking her to the shelter today to see if they can help get her better and maybe let me have her back.
    Thanks all for your help.

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Wow. Must be nice to be a vet in New Mexico. But anyways, you are making the right decision to take her to the shelter. Even if they won't give her back to you, at least she will get help.

6. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

Animal care in New Mexico

"APNM runs several community service projects. Lifelong Friends provides free and assisted veterinary care to companion animals of the low-income elderly. Emergency Veterinary Care (EVC) grew from the great need for assisted emergency veterinary care for the animals in low-income families. This program currently operates in the Albuquerque. Santa Fe, and Deming areas. Companion Animal Rescue Effort (CARE) provides temporary foster care and shelter for the companion animals of victims of domestic violence. APNM pays the full cost of boarding and any needed veterinary care for animals that may also have been victims of abuse. Subsidized spay/neuter programs operate in various areas of the state and provide either free or low-cost spaying and neutering. This is an attempt to address the huge pet over­population problem in New Mexico."

http://www.petroglyphsnm.org/editorspix/apnm.html

7. mlee39

mlee39 New Member

At the shelter now

yes, but as you said APNM provides free care for companion pets to the elderly. I am not elderly. I have contacted the site to see if they could have helped me.
    I did take her to the shelter. In Albuquerque, (unfortunately) they put sick animals down. Yet, they were nice enough to let me turn her over and told me that they will try to see what her problem is, if they can get her healthy they will call me and let me adopt her back. If they cannot heal her then they will put her down. Either way they are going to call me. I cried so hard for her.
    I didn't plan on having another animal. We know our limits. All of this came about because yet another person out there shows their ignorance and inhumanity to animals by not spaying or neutering them. It is so sad to see so many strays in this town. Our grown cat came to us neutered. Our dog will be fixed within 30 days thanks to a free voucher program the city set up for people who qualify income wise.
    PLEASE people, understand that it is cruel to NOT spay or neuter your animal.
    My heart was broken today as I kissed my little kitten goodby. She is in God's hands now. I pray she can get well and come back to us. If not, I pray she doesn't suffer and that she joins my dear departed Peppi (my recently passed away Tibetan Spaniel of 18 years of age) and waits for me across the Rainbow Bridge so she can know that one day "Mommy" will be with her again.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.