1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

adult shih poo or shih chon pictures

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Barbrae, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Barbrae

Barbrae New Member

I am thinking of adopting a shihpoo or shih chon mix. I have been unable to find any pictures of what this mix looks like as an adult. Can anyone post any pics of adults they may have.

It is most appreciated!
    Barbrae

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

A couple of members on this board, including myself, have shih-poos! :eek:

I have some pictures of my shih-poos which were taken when they were close to a year old...to view them, go to this link:

http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=33600&j=t

By the way, WELCOME to the board!!! :D

3. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

wow, I've never heard of a shih-chon..... I've seen the bichon/poodle mixes tho and they're cute!

I have a shihpoo.... He just turned a year last month, so you can check out his dogster page also:

http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?j=t&i=17761

The pics at the bottom of the page are the most recent. :)

Of course, I highly recommend this mix! :)

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I read about them on dogbreedinfo.com a while back - They're really cute (but not real common)!

I'll second that!!! :y_the_best:

5. Barbrae

Barbrae New Member

Thanks so much for the pictures guys! Your doggies are so precious. Have you found then to be good with kids? I have two young girls that are very gentle and affectionate and am looking for a "breed" that would be sweet with kids.

Do the shihpoos tend not to have the shihtzu underbite?

6. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

http://www.dogster.com/?31347
    These r Trixie's pics when she was a baby and when she was about 8 months she hasn't changed much though. Now she will be a year as of next week she is 17 pounds and has tons of energy. Most shih a poos look different cuz my sisters friend has a shih a poo and he is all beige with curly fur and big paws but still as cute as ever[/url]

7. shihpoogirl

shihpoogirl New Member

Adult Shih poo Pics

My sweet little Shih-poo, Michelangelo, is a WONDERFUL little dog. He saved my life at about 10 weeks of age by alerting to a seizure. I would highly highly highly recommend this mix. Mikey was so easy to train, I couldn't believe it. He potty trained himself in 2 days, and taught himself to fetch....everything. He will bring slippers, shoes, the remote, pens and anything that HE thinks needs fetching. He is my heart! :y_the_best:

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I've said it over and over on this board.... :) hehe.. Judging from my experience with my shihpoo, they are GREAT WITH KIDS! Bailey is often around young kids ranging from 1 year old up to the oldest "kid" at 19. He does awesome with all of them. He's very playful and loving.... He also is one of the most affectionate (run up and say hello!!) dogs I've ever seen... :) :kiss_heart:

He also, like the others have mentioned, was/is very easy to train!! He was potty trained (hehe) very quickly and learns all his tricks very quickly too..... I'm sure that mybabyshihpoo can attest to all of this with her TWO SHIHPOOS too!! :)

9. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Re: Adult Shih poo Pics

We have lost two remotes in 2 weeks would you bering him over lol./

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

btw, shihpoogirl..... WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! :)

You MUST post a picture of your Michelangelo!!! :) hehe

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

ABSOLUTELY!!! Everyone hit it right on the dot...*most* shih-poos are excellent with children! However, I will make mention of something, it is vitally important to make sure your future shih-poo is exposed to children of all ages (and for that matter, all types of people) early on in his/her life!!! A dog who has been exposed to children early on, as opposed to a dog who hasn't, is much more likely to be accepting of them as they get older! And the same is true for exposure to all types of people - believe it or not, dogs can develop a fear of people whom they might not have been exposed to when a puppy (for example: tall people, children, people with hats, men, women, elders, etc.) Early socialization to a variety of people and situations is EXTREMELY important!!!

My two shih-poos have this uncanny ability of knowing when they need to be calm around certain types of people (i.e. young children and elders). As a matter of fact, many trainers have recommended I use them as therapy dogs.

Shih-poos are extremely intelligent...mine, sometimes too intelligent for their own good! :wink: They were housebroken quickly, and are currently completing their third level of obedience/training class! They thrive on learning new tricks, and catch on very quickly when learning!

Shih-poos are very playful, very affectionate, definite attention-seekers/outgoing/friendly, and possess a "happy-go-lucky" attitude!

NO! Some shih-poos have them, and some don't. Underbites are inherent in shih-tzus, thus can be a trait in which a shih-poo might have.

Hope some of our info. has helped! :D

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: Welcome shihpoogirl!!! :eek:

13. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

When u say the shih tzu underbite would that be when the bottom teeth stick out sometimes cuZ trixie has that sometimes

14. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

The underbite in a dog is a permanent thing...in other words, it doesn't come and go. When your dog is biting down, and the lower teeth stick out in front of the top teeth, that is an underbite. Underbites are not real noticeable when the dog's mouth is open, only when it is closed/biting down.

Hope that explained your question! :D

15. Hammy

Hammy New Member

shih-chon or shih-poo breeders?

Does anyone know where I can find a reputable breeder that sells shih-chon puppies?
    I have been looking into getting a shih-chon, I love dogs, but I am also prone to allergies. A friend of mine told me that a shih-chon or shih-poo is the best dogs for allergy sufferers like myself. Please tell me about how much they shed and what the grooming involves. I do know that allergies are not caused by shedding but by the dander, a non to very little shedding would make my life a lot easier. :)

16. Bonjo

Bonjo New Member

Shih Chon aka Teddy Bear

Hi, I am an owner of a Shih Chon or "Teddy Bear" which is a mix of Bishon Frise and Shih Tzu purebred. These dogs are considered "designer" breeds and are not recognized by AKC as a true breed. They are a mix of two purebreeds. The dog is definitely hypoallergenic with hair instead of fur and they do not shed. I have extreme allergies to almost every breed out there (including cats) and this is one pup that can be litterally in my face with narry a sneeze nor itchy eye issue from me. What a blessing! The dogs are adorably cute with pleasant personalities, huggable, lovable, funny little bundles of energy. They also are a high maintenence dog requiring much brushing to avoid matting hair. They are also cuddly lap dogs, very personable and love to hang with you always. If you'd like to see pictures just google "Shih Chon" and you'll see them as pups and adults. Not much difference there even when they are adult dogs. A seven year old will look much as it did as a pup of 6 months.

Do some research on the breed regarding their status in the "pedigree" line...meaning whether or not the pup you intend to get is of the first litter of two purebred (pedigreed) dogs. Some pup litters maybe 2nd or even 3rd generation. Good luck finding a reliable breeder. Just remember to do your homework before purchasing.