1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on finding good boarding...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cosmicpixie, Sep 12, 2004.

1. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I know its only Septemeber, but we will be travelling across country for Christmas. We live in Las Vegas, but will be going home to Ohio to spend the holidays with our families. The idea situation would be that Maya can come with us to Ohio. Our biggest fear with that is that she won't get to go due to some weird airline technicality. So we were looking into boarding her for that week. But we don't know where to start, and would like to have her all set before the rush of Thanksgiving and Christmas is upon us. Any advice on what we should be looking for, or asking, is a pet sitter better than an actual boarding? How can we ensure (if we do decide try to take her with us) that she can go on the plane? Arrrgggghhhhh.... its so stressful and its not even Halloween yet. Help?!?

Tracie

2. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

The first thing I would do if you really want her to go with you is to call the airline you will be flying. And ask where your dog will be...how much it costs..and if they have ever lost a pet...ie..pet goes on wrong air plane.

We use boarding when we can not take our furbabies with us. Ours will put our dogs together or seperate...it is up to us. They have outside play time in a big fenced in yard. And they also offer training for a fee. I have also used the kennels at our vet...although they don't have a play area they do take each dog for a walk at least once a day.

I don't like pet sitting in my home. I just don't trust people in my house when I am not there. Sometimes our chi goes to grandmas though and gets spoiled rotten.

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

If you dog is under 10 lbs you can bring it as a carry on in a soft carrier and put him/her under you seat. Just bring a current health certificate. I was just looking into that.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Airlines have very strict regulations about bringing pets in the cabin with you! Airlines have a weight and/or height maximum that your pet must fall under in order to bring them in the cabin (otherwise, it's cargo, and I wouldn't even go there :( ). If you do plan on bringing Maya onboard with you, book the flight WELL in advance!!!!!!!!! Most airlines need advance warning about bringing pets in the cabin, and many (if not all?) airlines only allow one to two pets PER flight in the cabin.

As far as boarding or house sitting, I would definitely choose a dog sitter over boarding...a whole lot less stressful on the dog. The dog gets to stay in his her home where he/she is most comfortable, as opposed to a strange kennel with lots of other dogs (even though they are separated). Due to the stress that boarding usually places upon a dog, I would choose a dog sitter! Is there any family or close friends close by who you could "hire" to stay at your house with Maya while you are gone?

Just my two cents! :D

5. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

Maya is about fifteen pounds and just about fourteen inches tall. Although she would fit in a soft carrier (laying down) I don't think she'll meet the airline requirements. And unfortunately we are the only ones in our families that live in Las Vegas.
    Maya isn't crated anymore... so has anybody done boarding that is cage free. There are a couple of them here in Las Vegas. I'm just worried that something will happen to her.

Tracie

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I second that I would try and find someone who can watch her at home if you are unable to take her with you. I am lucky and my husband has a teenage cousin who absolutly loves our dogs so he will come over several times a day or just stay and play video games. We pay him for gas and a little extra for his time and my dogs are so happy with him.

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Gosh, I definitely say the same as the others.... I'd find a friend/co-worker or someone who can watch Maya for you. Do you have anyone that you or hubby can ask (that you trust)??