1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on my shipoo

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Roxie's Shipoo, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Roxie's Shipoo

Roxie's Shipoo New Member

Hi my name is Roxanne, I am new to this forum and I have a new shipoo. She is 3 months old and I have had her since September 18,2004. I absolutely love her. I have read alot of the past forums and you guys are great with giving advice. My question is Bella loves to play and chew constantly then she takes her naps. The only thing is she doesnt like to sit and let me pet her or anything. I know this may sound stupid but I am afraid she doesnt like me. Is this just a puppy thing??????????

2. Roxie's Shipoo

Let me rephrase that

I know I probably sound crazy but I want to make sure I am doing everyhting right. I play with her and stuff but I guess she is not a lap dog at this time. Is that a puppy thing or does that mean she just isnt much of a lap dog?????????????

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hi & welcome to the boards! =P~

I wouldn't worry about it. She's still trying to get used to her surroundings, I'm sure.

We've had our two shih-poos since May 27th and they weren't really "lap dogs" when we first brought them home. They would play with us and then nap by our feet! They are major lap dogs now, so just give her time, I'm sure she'll want to snuggle with you very soon.

Okay.. now a question for you... where can we view this little darling of yours?!! Pictures are a must around here :mrgreen:

4. Roxie's Shipoo

Thanks

Thanks bunches. I just worry alot. I am looking forward to becoming an active member on this forum. You guys are awesome and nice and offer some of the best advice I have ever read. This is my first time raising a puppy on my own so I am a bit nervous. I have never ben on a forum before so I apoligize I dont know how to do everything. Bella is on dogster and that web address is

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=77011

Sorry I am still learning the basics. Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. gwen13

gwen13 New Member

She's so cute!!
    My last addition was only cuddly the first day, the second day and the few weeks following were nothing but exploring time. I couldn't hold him for the life of me, the little guy would wiggle away and take off running around in circles like a mad man. If I called him to come to me or put my arms out he thought it was a game. I thought the same thing too, but of course a few weeks later I found that he was happy to do whatever I wanted. If I wanted to lay and watch TV he'd curl up right in my arms and watch with me. I'd say give her some time, at her age everything is a game :lol:

6. Roxie's Shipoo

Thanks Gwen13

That makes me feel alot better. Your baby is a cutie too!! :mrgreen:

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Roxie... WELCOME!! to you and to Bella!!

Bella is adorable!! :) She looks just like poogirl's Emma! :) :) hehe

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

She does, doesn't she. Very cute little one. I think she's just soaking in everything. I hear girls tend to be more so lap dogs than boys, just from observing dogs I know.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Roxie's Shipoo

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. She does look alot like Emma. I am very proud of her. :kiss_heart:

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Its very nice to have you here. This toy dogs forum was put up especially for people with mixes as the subject of mixes and breeders usualy gets people mad. Welcome. And of course for any purebred breeds that want to join in. :y_the_best:

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Another new member, this is fantastic!!! :m12:

:eek: WELCOME to the forum, Roxie's Shipoo!!! :eek:

Your pup is adorable, she reminds me of one of my shih-poos, and one of PooGirl's shih-poos!!! :)

Everyone's done a great job of answering your question! I'd just give Bella some time...most shih-poos I know are very cuddly! (This is ESPECIALLY true with my two male shih-poos, they can't seem to get enough of it - however, in most breeds, males tend to be more affectionate and cuddly than the females, but of course, other factors do play a role. Believe me though, I've met numerous affectionate females, so such a trend is nothing to worry about. I'm sure many of the female-pup-owning members here would attest to that.) Once she gets more comfortable with her new surroundings and you, then she'll feel more at ease getting close to you...the comfort, and most definitely, trust, must develop within your pup (an untrusting dog will be very weary of closeness to humans)...your dog's trust in you takes time to develop (some take longer than others), and requires a lot of TLC (which it sounds like you are providing, and that's great)!

(*Just a note, it is vitally important that one let their dog(s) know from the get-go who is the leader/boss of the house!!! Failure to do so, and letting the dog run your household, will lead to significant problems! In other words, don't shower your pup with affectionate 24/7, you must let your dog know in no uncertain terms that YOU are the leader, not him/her! :y_the_best: You DON'T have to be "mean" to get the point across, assertive is what you must be to get the point across!)

With that said, don't hesitate to pick her up, hold her, carry her around, etc. just because she doesn't "act" like she wants to. It's important that she gets used to such handling at a young age so she doesn't become aggressive when it's done in the future. A LOT of handling from a very young age is incredibly important when raising a puppy!!! :y_the_best:

Also, be sure you are providing LOTS of socialization for your pup...introduce her to all sorts of people and situations...a poorly socialized puppy is bad news!!!

We're glad you're here, I look forward to your input and/or questions!!! :D

12. maltepoolover

maltepoolover New Member

She is very cute .The girl above said it right .The puppy needs affection and alot of holding .She will come arouind ,takes time .

13. Roxie's Shipoo

Thanks mybabyshipoo. That helps alot and makes alot of since. :eek:

14. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Wohoa!!! She's beautiful!!!!! Oh yes, Emma's twin of course!! :eek: :eek:

15. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

your bella looks just like my bella :)

bella's birth mom was a shih tzu and her dad a toy poodle. she turned two in march of this year.

welcome :D