1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Age to mellow out

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jules, May 28, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules New Member

I just read a little on a different topic about breeds and when they start to mellow out. I was wondering if people would like to share the breeds and the supposed time it takes them to mellow out.
    Bender is a dobe x rotti and he mellowed out in 2 years. He is 2 and a half now and it's like he is an old man. He just loves to laze around the house and sleep in the sun. I honestly don't know how he can sleep so much! My friends rhodesian ridgeback took two years too. Our next door neighbours dog which is a pointer is a lovable crazy ball of energy who doesn't even have the patience to take a proper whiz (he still gets it on himself!) and he is 18 months, I don't see him calming down anytime soon though... we'll see.
    Does anyone know when dobes chill out?

Is your dog like this::0020:

Or this? :0012: LOL

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Grace is always into mischief :0025:

And Reese is more of a :kiss_puppy:

They play really hard and then they crash even harder. One thing they're not is "morning dogs!" They have a real hard time getting their butts off those cedar pillows at 5:A.M.

3. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I dont know about dobes, but it took my golden just over 2 years to calm down.

4. Jody

Jody New Member

Jasper is over 3 years old now, and she is still hypo as ever, she thinks we die over night cause she's so excited to see me in the morning. At 2am she wants to play :x :x :x

She's a Lab cross Kelpie, very very hypo, i'm hoping she'll chill out soon.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I have heard 5 years for Border Collies. Our BC mix is a year old and shows no signs of slowing down yet. :)

Jamiya

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Heelers NEVER mellow out!!! Jake (ing Gods hands) was 12 and still acted like a rocket fixing to blowup, up until the day he died.

Just when I think my two are settlling down at the end of a working day, BOOM!!! they hit another gear "AND THEIR OFF!!!"

7. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Yea, I kind of would like to get some feedback on Shepherd/Lab mixes too. Sarge can be full of energy, but, he also can be really mellow. After the Parvo scare, it may too soon for me to get an accurate reading.

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Harley my AmStaff is 18 months and still going hard. Bully breeds are high energy dogs so theymight mature around 2 but have full energy for years to come......

My moms Yellow Lab didn't calm down and mature until almost 4 yrs. old. He isn't the brightest boy but he sure is sweet.

9. Samsintentions

My experiances with labs are that they are a pain in the butt.... they chew, hyper, and most of the time don't leave the puppy stage until well after 3 years old. But with age, they tend to become really good companion dogs. I wouldn't want a lab puppy.

As for most mix breeds they all verry.

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I agree Sams. I grew up with a first a Black Lab, then Golden Retr. and finally, a Schnauzer Poodle mix. The lab and the golden drove me nuts! Sarge looks 100% Shepherd and he really does not even act like a Lab at all. I'm hoping he got a dash of socialization from the Lab and thats it! Everybody thinks he is purebred Shepherd. All the other pups in his litter looked like Labs. He was the only Shepherd looking puppy (maybe he hogged the genes!)

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh Sam dont tell me that.

"Heelers NEVER mellow out!!! Jake (ing Gods hands) was 12 and still acted like a rocket fixing to blowup, up until the day he died. "

honeybear

12. Samsintentions

OH yeah. Char is fixing to be 6 and oh lord!!!!! HEelers have the highest energy levels. Thats what they are bred for. Stamina, durability and their bite.

Usually when they are mixed with somethng else, they tend to mellow out a bit. BUt spend one day with my "kids" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Like last night. I was out feeding the horses. Char and smoke had JUST and I mean JUSt laid down, hadn't even gotten comfy yet. And BOOM something caught their eye, they were gone!

So around feeding time (for the "kids") I cutting up deer steak, and chars doing her usual "dance" on her hind legs, (makes me dizzy watching her twirl around in cirles...ugh..) and Smoke is doing his usual jump up and down, up and down..... Feed them. the inhale it as usual, then its off to chase each other.....

Now remeber, this is after they've worked cattle, all day long....or worked with daddy on the rigs.....
    I don't know how they do it!

I wish I had half their energy!!!!

13. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

I have heard that pugs are extremely hyper as puppies and young dogs, but then seem to totally mellow out around age 4. I've read that this is one reason that so many go into shelters- people get a puppy and expect it to be totally calm like pugs are thought to be, but then they get this crazy bundle of energy, kind of like my dog! So I have one year down, only 3 to go!! :roll:

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sam, can I send Wylie yoru way, Idont think working like that all day would wear her out either.

honeybear

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Ditto on Nala. :)

Jamiya

16. Samsintentions

oH YEAH, LIKE i NEED MORE DOGS!!! LOL

Thats why its sooo imperitive to train these dogs at an early age....