1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Aggresive chewing with my 8 mth old boxer!!! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by cjkpass, Apr 22, 2012.

1. cjkpass

cjkpass New Member

I have a 8 mth old boxer puppy with aggressive chewing problems...Let me tell you about her. People have actually asked me if she is a rescue dog because of her behavior...No, I've had her since she was 11 wks old. She eats everything!! I have many aggressive chewer toys both in the house and outside. She gets lots of attention and plenty of exercise outside chasing a ball or Frisbee. We take her with us sometimes when we visit certain friends. She is extremely shy and tends to back away from strangers. She is very hyper at times and runs thru the house constantly. I will catch her, put her back in the kitchen for 3 minutes, then let her back out once she calms down. I have had boxers before but NEVER one like this. This morning she was crunching on her milk bones and also a heavy chewing toy and I decided to take a closer look, well she ate the weather stripping off the sliding glass door and also the throw rug, again. Any ideas as to what I can do next. She has eaten the wood on the deck, my plants, a cell phone, wallpaper off the wall and more!!! She if fine at night when everyone goes to bed, she just gets in her crate, free to come and go, and sleeps until someone gets up.We are now crating her when we leave the house. All ideas would be greatly appreciated. She also bites your ankles when you walk????

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Sorry to hear that... I have a Boxer/lab and I've had him since he was 1 he is 10 now, he was abused because of his destructive chewing.. At his previous owner he ate the deck, siding, bike tires anything he could get...

When I got him home I quickly realized he was not socialized or introduced to anything...He had zero toys there.. no wonder bored dog = destructive dog...

What I've found that works on his aggressive chewing is the Jolly Ball the ones you can get for horses work great as they are big.. most of the pet stores have them.. Also he chews on the goliath nylabone (not thrilled as it's not good on his teeth but keeps him busy) I also use the chuck it daily, and I got a green rubber ball that no matter what he does he can't destroy it..

I think what really helps is the honey and I occupy his brain alot!! We hide carrot chunks and make him find them, we hide his food and make him find it, things that make him use his brain doggy puzzles :mrgreen:

At first I kept him on a 6 foot leash and attached him to me at all times, made him very obedient..

Good luck and keep working on it..

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Also Boxers are puppies for life!! :mrgreen: very high energy need to be occupied and get bored easily... Giving your boxer tasks and many different ones I think over time will help ease that ever moving brain!! :D

Mine calmed down a bit at age 5

Oh the Jolly Ball he gets the handle off pretty easy but they are incredible I buy 2 a year that's how long they last and he is soo powerful and chews on that thing all the time!!! they have 2 different sizes and 2 different styles one with a handle and one that has a rope thru the middle I have gotten both but I cut the rope and get rid of it as he swallows it... not a really bright dog at times when the boxer half gets busy :?