1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ahhhh!!!He's driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by KittyTales, Jan 17, 2006.

1. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Ive been spending hours and hours to teach my dog to crawl but nothing works!He just lays down then runs over to me and crawls like 2 steps and then starts begging for a belly rub!Or he doesnt listen he just gets a toy or something and starts whimpering to play, but not learn.He's 1 year old and all I've taught him is sit,lay down,paw,attack,(Just incase)get 'em,(usful when playing tag)gimme a kiss,speak,go Bim go!(I like to use it when I'm riding my skaeboard),go away,roll over,play dead,come here, and go to your room.But crawl is like impossible to teach him!I want him know how to crawl to me.He is a little 1ft sheltie/cocker spaniel mix dog that will refuse to learn! :x
    :qm4:

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

He's obviously not understanding what you want him to do. How did you teach him the other tricks? There are many different methods. I am partial to clicker training, and you can use this method to "capture" the little bit of crawling he will do, expand on it, and then put a command word to it.

You can find out more about clicker training here: http://www.clickertraining.com/training/clicker_basics/

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would move on and teach other tricks that he enjoys, obviously he doesnt like that and I wouldnt force him to. I had ahuge problem with my lab, he refused to learn the lay down command, It was something he just wasnt going to do, so I have learned to live with it that he doesnt do the down thing.

4. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

I dont know why but when he gets really excited he starts to crawl and I've tried demonstrating how to do it, I tried making him laydown and use a treat to get im to crawl to it, and I've tried forcing him but he will refuse to learn! By the way whats clicker training?

5. winnie

winnie New Member

When i taught my Lab to crawl I made her lay down, and I was kneeling right beside her with my hand over her upper back, that way if she started to get up a little I could keep her in the down position. Then i put a treat right in front of her nose moving it slowly saying crawl as she would move forward.I would move forward with her keeping my hand on her back and the treat in front of her nose, encouraging her to crawl. Eventually she started doing it without me needing to put my hand on her back. Then eventually I could get her to lay down and stay while I moved 7 feet in front of her, i would have the treat in my hand, lowered it to the ground with my finger pointing down. This kept her focus low to the ground if that makes any sense and she started crawling to me.

It takes time, and consistancy and you got to make sure he knows what you are asking. Just go threw it with him, right next to him. It also helps to exercise them a lot before training tricks, that way they dont have so much energy and are easier to train.

I always trained my Lab after a 2 hour session at the dog park.

Goodluck, hopefully he gets it, its a cute trick.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you will go to the link I provided, it explains what clicker training is and how you do it.

Essentially, it is a method that uses a clicker to "capture" the exact moment that the dog does something you want. It makes it easier for the dog to understand which thing he just did is what you were asking for. So in your case, after the dog has learned what the clicker means (go to the page I gave you to find out how to do this), you would click when he is crawling and give him a treat. Gradually you would make the criteria harder - like how many "steps" he crawls or for how long, etc. When he is doing it consistently, you would then put a command to it.

As I said, it is all explained if you go to the link: http://www.clickertraining.com/training/clicker_basics/

7. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

I borrowed my freinds clicker (she said she had one) my dog thinks its a toy and want me to throw it so he can play fetch.I tried the same thing as winnie but instead of crawling he hops.Still cant figure out how to crawl.

8. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

The book I use to teach Ranger tricks suggests having your dog crawl under a low table, like a coffee table or something, where it is physically impossible for them to stand up. Ranger always crawls though, so when he crawled on his own, I would tell him to crawl, and now he will do it on command.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

He won't automatically know what a clicker is for. You have to teach him what it is before you can use it to train him. It's all there in the articles.

10. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

We dont really have anything low that he can crawl under.

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You have legs. You can sit on the floor and bend your legs up and have him crawl under.