1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Air Pump Thingy

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Allie, May 26, 2004.

1. Allie

Allie New Member

This myabe a dumb question but I am still rather new at this fish thing.I just put an air pump thingy in my 10 gal tank because I was told it helps the fish to breathe better or something like that(personally I like the way the bubbles look).I was just curious as to where the best place for one is or does it not matter?Right now it is close to the filter intake tube.Will all the bubbles affect the filtering?Thanks in advance.

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

The little airstones are pretty cool and it on top of adds air to the water helps prevent a film from building up on the surface of the water. Before I added a undergravel filter to my 5 gallon I wedged my air pump in my little cave. The one thing that the bubbler might effect the filter is it could push some of the dirt and stuff that should go into the filer away and thus it wouldn't get sucked up.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd move the bubbles away from the intake. Aside from being really noisy, all those bubbles could cause it to lose it's prime and stop working.

-Chelle

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

bubbles are realy effective, arnt they!

you could put the air stone under a bit of gravel so that the bubbles are seen but not the stone, or under a half pot, for the same reason.

having it by the out air flow of the filter may spread the air round the tank, but could be aproblem fopr the filter as the excess air will as t-chelle said, stop the filter working coz it has air trapped. I get this after iv cleaned the filter, if there is air terapped it is very noisy and inaffective.

The air stones are o affective that enough air will get in to the tank for your fish, you will know if there isnt enough air coz the fish will gape near the surface and say ' i need air' .

just rememebr that the air stones dont last very long. you wil ahve to change them every now and then otherwise they will wreck your air pump.

amy.

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Allie, While I am still a firm believer that pop-eye disease is bacterial in nature, there is the theory that air bubbles brought into the intake of a filter produce tiny air bubbles from the output and cause pop-eye disease. I myself wouldn't want to risk it and would move the air bubbles away from the intake on your filter.

6. iryna

iryna Guest

Not to dispute anything for I don't know things for sure, but I had a fish with a pop-eye disease and I didn't even have airation in the tank. I think I read up on it and it says that it's due to nitrite level being too high, then the fish's blood doesn't carry oxygen as well and they get the pop-eye disease. And I only had one fish out of the whole tank with that problem, so it may as well be something else. At any rate - bubbles, please stay away from filter. Preferrably even at the opposite end of aquarium, so that the water pushed by the bubbles is brought up and recycled by the filter.