1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

algea during cycleing processs...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Apr 7, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone.. wel I am in the middle part of my cycleing process and I am starting to grow quite a bit of algae during the process... should I deal with this while it is happening or once I am done and before I aadd the fish?
    It is a 16 gallon tank and I am 3 weeks into the process with fishless cycleing with 3 ppm of ammonia and very small amounts of nitrites...
    Thanks

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

go ahead and deal with it now, get rid of it.........it isnt going to help/or harm the process, so if you want get rid of it.

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

But how I would get rid of it would be to do a waterchange and vacume the gravel though right? But I dont want to vacume the gravel and loose any bacteria or is there a lot of it in the filter to handle everything?

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

where has the algae formed at?

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

it is just a thin layer over sections of hte gravel and on the rock I have in there... I am not too worried about it. I am planning on getting an algae eating fish when I stock my tank.. is there a specific one you woudl suggest for a 16 gallon tank>?

6. tski22

tski22 New Member

otocinclus cats. Get about 3 of them. If you want them they're great but leave the algae in there for them then dont remove it. -tl

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd just leave it alone until the tank is done cycling. Once the water params settle down, it should start to dissappear. Until then, keeping the lights off should help some.

-Chelle