1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

all my pacus died

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by pacu pacu gta, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacu pacu gta

pacu pacu gta New Member

Hi, im new hee and with fish i have a problem. I recently went to my local pet store and purchased a ten gallon with a filter then i asked the clerk what fish would be rite and he said that a pacu would but they were expensive. He said 12 would be the rite amount so i did what he said. All have died exept one and i went back and asked why he said i needed a better filter so i bought and aquaclear 150 and bought 11 more pacus. My problem is they keep dieng please someone i need some advice.

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

IMO 12 pacus is too much for any tank and a 10G is too small for even 1. They get huge. Here's a pic of one.

[​IMG]

My guess would be poor water quality and stress. You have a severly overstocked aquarium. Take them back to the pet store unless you plan on upgrading to a monsterously huge tank (or opening a public aquarium).

3. pacu pacu gta

pacu pacu gta New Member

But the store clerk said they stay small and 12 was the rite amount also he said put lots of aquarium salt amd this blue stuff and i shouldnt have to worry about the water quality as long as i have a good filter.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

There's no way any full grown pacu would fit in a 10G. If they stay small they're severly stunted and not healthy.

About the blue stuff, you shouldn't have to med. the tank unless your fish are sick.

In my own experience and I'm sure the experience of many others, salespeople at the LFS will sell you almost any fish to make money and most are severly uneducated about the fish they sell.

For 1 pacu you'll need atleast a 400-600 gallon tank. So for 12 you're looking 4,800 gallons at the least (and I mean bare minimum).

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Go find a new LFS and never go to that one again. That guy either has absolutely no idea what he's talking about or is flat out lying. Everything he said was pure rubbish and the reason your fish died.

Take all your remaining fish back then we will discuss how to properly set up an aquarium and what fish are appropriate for a 10 gallon.

-Chelle

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Lol, never go there again. How can he tell you that " you can fit 11 pacus in a 10 gallon tank."Not even one, even though that is just as histerical but he said 11. So, as t_chelle said send them back and come back on and ask for help. Lol. Also, don't be offended because of my laughing.

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

aquaclear 150? try more like an aquaclear 25,000......maybe talk with the manager about that so the clerk doesnt screw up another persons tank?

exactly how expensive were the pacus each? since he gave you that false information, im curious to see whether or not he is screwing you on the price also

8. pacu pacu gta

pacu pacu gta New Member

They were about 20 each but he said there the best most hardy fish you can find any where also i called the store up and they say they wont take the fish so what do i do now i know no one with a 4,800 gallon tank.

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Thats rediculas some LFS have no idea. Like today i needed aquarium salt for my fresh water tanks and the guy handed me a 25LB bag of marine salt... I told him it was salt tanks and hes like "oh look at that it is to" :roll:

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Wait a minute. You paid $240 for the first batch of fish then went back an paid another $220 for the second ($460 total) and did absolutely no research first?

-Chelle

11. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Who did you talk to at the store a clerk or the manager? If it was a clerk you could try going higher.

Also where are you located. If its in Canada I believe there's a number you can call (kind of like a fish rescue - I got a pamphlet about it when I bought my tank) they take in fish so they don't get dumped in waterways if they outgrow their tank.

For now I'd get them out of the 10G, there's probably not much space for them now anyway, and get them into someting bigger. I believe someone mentioned using a large storage container as a temp a while back.

12. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

isnt $20 a pacu a ridiculus price? it is around here at least...

13. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I've seen Pacu for $20 but they were about 7 or 8 inche and no way 12 of them could fit in a 10G so I'd say for ones small enough to fit in a 10G yes it would be on the high side.

14. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

dude you dont want Pacu unless you have to means to keep upgrading your tanks

I have now two 18" Pacus, they were about 2 inch when i got them about 1 year ago, they grow VERY fast.

I have had to up grade my tank 3 times they started out in a 33gal then to a 75gal and are now in a 130gal, and quickly out growing it, soon im gonna get a 300 gal(soon as i find space, and beg my wife)

they seemed to slow down growing for now. The biggest prob now is keeping them fed, they eat like pigs!!!!!

heres a pic of one of my monsters at 18 inches
    [​IMG]

15. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

...another thing, small pacu are only around 6 bucks!!!!!!!!!

also please only go back to your LFS one more time, just long enough to kick the guy who sold you the pacu right square in the ****. he is a total *******!!!

EDITED kc5gvn - While I may be able to echo your sentiments I can't the language. This is still a family forum.

16. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hes probably one of the people that keep a mixture of pacu, catfish, and arowana in a 29 gallon and thinks it is alright. :x

17. Sipesh

Sipesh New Member

Yeah, my Pacu went from 1.5 inches in May to about 11 inches now just 8 months later!!! You wouldn't even be able to keep ten of those guys wet in a 10 gallon tank within a few months! And cripes, the little fella was only about $3.00 when I got him. They are awesome fish, but need ever bigger upgrades in tanks :) ...They are a good excuse to get that 1000 gallon though ;) I'd definitely be looking for another fish store to go to and always research what you want yourself BEFORE going to the fish store since you never know what the store employees may have been smoking that fine day. (And yeah, I worked in a fish store for 6 years and can honestly make that sort of statement with a straight face).

18. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

Wow, thats all I can say... wow

19. Tank

Tank New Member

I smell something fishie about this thread. boom boom!!!

20. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

ummm what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.