1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

American Pitbull Terrior/Staphshire (sp) Terrior?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by GlenC, Dec 25, 2004.

1. GlenC

GlenC New Member

What is the difference in the two. I have always thought they are the same dog. I have recently found that the APBT is not recongnized by the AKC but the ST is? I am very confused :?:

2. Freedom

Freedom New Member

The American Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are not the same breed. The staffy bull is recognized by the AKC and the APBT is recognized by the UKC. "Back in the day" lol, the Amstaff and the APBT used to be the same breed before they were split with the AKC and the UKC. When the AKC recognized the Amstaff the AKC people started breeding for the AKC standards and conformation, thats when the APBT and the Amstaff started being bred apart. Today they are different breeds, but very similar, I look at them as cousins. As for the staffy bull they are related to the Amstaff and APBT as well since they all come from the same ancestors, but bred apart for different tasks and working purposes so they are not the same breed. The APBT is recognized by the UKC, the AKC recognizes the Amstaff because they wanted to steer away from the negative stigma that comes with the title "American PIT BULL Terrier".

3. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

OK Freedom although you are generally right in what you said you kinda confused me a bit and prob. Glen to! No offense but it seems you used Amstaff and Amstaff bull terrier as interchangable! The American Staffordshire terrier and the American Stafforshire Bull terrier are also different breeds, I believe the biggest difference being size as the staffy bull is smaller. There is also the bull terrier and the mini bull terrier, yes Glen it does get kind of confusing!! Anyway all of the dogs I mentioned are regonized by AKC. Freedom was right in saying the AKC basically refuses to recognize the American Pitbull terrier due to the undue stigma it holds.

4. Sara

Sara New Member

AKC recognizes the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, The American Staffordshire Terrier, the Bull Terrier (white and color) and the Mini Bull Terrier (white adn color)...

THAT's the AKC lowdown...and all are different breeds of Bull/Terrier type...

THEN you have the UKC who recognizes the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the Bull Terrier colored, white and minis... They are all different breeds within the UKC...

Am Staff and APBT are different from one another because of the different registeries and different standards for each but they both were born from the APBT ultimately...which branched off from the Staffy Bull Terrier and other Terriers and bulldog crosses... ALL of those breeds are confusing because they all come from the Bulldog/ Terrier crossing for bull baiting and bloodsports... They just have different standards in size and build... That's about he only thing separating them in terms of breeds of dogs... They all have very much the same basic temperment. The Am Staff is the newest of them all...being an american version of the anti-gladiating APBT...standard wise the breed is far from it's APBT gamedog of old where the current UKC APBT is not as far in standard from it's ancestory of gamedogs...

VERY confusing no doubt...but by keeping the registries/clubs straight it's easy to figure out which is which in terms of the Am Staff and the APBT... The others are the same no matter what registry you are looking at.

a UKC registered APBT can be registered with the AKC as an Am Staff etc...and vice versa...HOWEVER...it must follow the AKC's standard etc... It's VERY odd and even APBT enthusiasts tend to get a bit lost on the two breeds and registries... close cousins is a way to think about it...?

I'm sure I just confused things more...should have stayed with just that one or two first paragraphs...if you are confused just stick to the AKC dog list and UKC dog list to make it straight in your mind.

5. GlenC

GlenC New Member

Actually no you did a great job of explaining it. I have another question. The puppy we got supposably is registered. However, for some reason the owners were unable to get the litter registered. Due to lose of job. Both parents are registered. Is there a way to register a single pup from a litter or does the whole litter have to be registered? It doesn't really matter if he has papers or not. I plan on having him spayed. but it would be nice to have the papers.

Thanks in advance

Glen

6. Freedom

Freedom New Member

"OK Freedom although you are generally right in what you said you kinda confused me a bit and prob. Glen to! No offense but it seems you used Amstaff and Amstaff bull terrier as interchangable"

Actually, I was comparing the Amstaff, the staffy bull, and the APBT all together. Also its called the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, there is NO american in front. There is the American Staffordshire Terrier and there is the American Pit Bull Terrier. I was comparing all 3 of them, but I guess some people got confused along the way, sorry about that.

7. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

We talked about this once before and I brought it back up to the foreground. Visit the thread "the bull and terrier breeds"
    Enjoy! Good job Sara....

8. goob

goob New Member

AKC will not accept UKC only registered dogs for registeration as AMStaffs, they must have AKC registered parents (can be registered with UKC as well, but not soley UKC). UKC will register any AmStaff as an APBT as well, since all AmStaffs are from UKC APBT stock.

This is one of the better explanations I've seen for the APBT/AST breed split: http://apbtconformation.com/apbt_vs_ast.htm

9. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

Good goob I didnt catch that, sort of like all Amstaffs can be pitbulls but not all pitbulls can be Amstaffs.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Thanks Goob...that's what I meant...but...LOL...couldn't get it out right...

11. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Freedom just wanted to say I meant no offense, actually I think I went on to thoroughly confuse myself. It's like in my head I know the difference and understand it all, then i try to say it or even read what someone else said and I get all kinds of confused!! It really is a confusing subject, dontcha think? LOL

12. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Is there also an English Staffie as well?

13. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

I think that is another name for staffordshire bull terrier

14. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

There is an Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier

15. lukiebo

lukiebo New Member

The way that I remember it, during research of the breeds, I found an article that stated that the Staffordshire Bull Terriers were the original breed brought from England to America. (remembering Staffordshire is in England.) The settlers needed a bigger dog for the homestead duties and bred the Staffordshire Bull Terrier with bigger dogs to do what they needed. Thus came about the American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier. By dropping the "Bull", it seemed to make people more comfortable with the dogs (not soo scary) when it came to AKC and UKC registry which is the beginning of the 2 different breeds, making it a total of 3 breeds: The Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier. The Stafforshire Bull Terrier is the smallest fo the 3.

Another interesting fact that I came across a few times in the breed research is that a human could reach into the fight and grab a dog out and never worry about getting bit in the heat of it all. These original dogs would not bite a human even if it wasn't their own "master" grabbing them.

16. lukiebo

lukiebo New Member

I tried to find an Irish Staffordshire Terrier and only found an Irish Terrier, there is no similarity in the looks of this breed with the "Bull" breeds. I was curious to know what an Irish Staffordshire Terrier would be.
    Hope this helps.
    Going to the AKC and the UKC websites are great sources of information for starts.
    It is confusing... just trying to help sort things out.

17. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

18. lukiebo

lukiebo New Member

Wow!!! You learn something new everyday!!!!
    I did not find anything when I searched.... but I didn't search real well either... :eek: :y_the_best: